I Love You- Reprise (18)

Three hours later, Tessa and Dr. Carstairs came out to speak with Isabelle.

"These are our parents, Robert and Maryse," Isabelle introduced them. Tessa raised an eyebrow at Isabelle but shook her parents hands.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Nurse Tessa. I have been taking care of your son for the past week." She and Jem began to explain what was happening to Alec.

"So he's awake?" Jace asked for clarification. Dr. Carstairs nodded and explained further.

"Yes. We've sat him up and we've attempted conversations with him. He seems to be responsive. We told him where he was and what had happened to him. He is suffering from minor bouts of amnesia but nothing serious. His memory of the week leading up to his injury is spotty but other than that he seems to be in working order. We'll have to keep him here for the next few days to run more tests on him and make sure he's okay to be sent home. Depending on his motor functions we may need to send him into rehab for a few days but we won't know until we properly test him." It was as if a weight had been lifted off of Isabelle's shoulders. He was going to be okay.

"Can we see him now?" Maryse asked. Jem nodded and he led the four of them to his room. Isabelle passed Magnus on their way and motioned for him to follow her. He shook his head and shooed her off. She was confused but didn't press him.

When they walked into the room, Alec was sitting up and awake. He looked pale and still bruised but alright.

"Alec!" she screeched and rushed to his side. He smiled at her and she flung herself at him.

"Ow, Iz!" he laughed, his voice a little hoarse. She stood back up and apologized.

"I'm so happy you're okay." She slapped his arm. "You scared the shit out of me." Jace walked up to Alec and ruffled his hair.

"You alright?" he asked. Alec nodded and they shared a smile.

"We're glad to see you awake, Alexander," Maryse interjected bring attention to her and Robert.

"Thanks mom." The room fell into an awkward silence and after a second Isabelle noticed Alec's eyes look past their parents and soften. Magnus was standing in the doorway, apart from everyone else. 

Isabelle quickly cleared her throat.

"I think we should leave Alec to rest. It must be hard for him to... you know, rest or whatever." She began shooing her parents out of the room, who were too distracted by Isabelle's abruptness to notice Magnus. She poked her head back into the room and winked at her brother, before leaving with their parents and Jace. Magnus snickered as he walked into Alec's room and sat next to him on the bed.

"Aren't you supposed to be in Paris?" Alec asked, taking Magnus' hand and studying it.

"I was in Paris but I'm back."

"How was it?" Magnus looked at him curiously.

"Are you really asking me how Paris was while you lay in a hospital bed?" Alec looked up at him and nodded.

"Paris is your favourite city," he explained.

"You are too selfless sometimes, Alexander." Alec smiled and closed his eyes, leaning his head back against the bed. "Are you tired?" Magnus asked. Alec chuckled.

"Ironic isn't it? I'm tired but I've practically been sleeping for a week."

"I'm so happy you're okay." Magnus placed his hand on Alec's cheek. Alec opened his eyes and Magnus didn't realize how much he missed seeing them. They were a deep blue, like the colour of cobalt glass. They seemed to hold the secrets of the ocean in them. "I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't woken up," Magnus shook his head, trying not to get emotional.

"But I'm awake," Alec consoled him. "I'm here." Magnus looked down at their intertwined hands, and back up at Alec.

"I love you." Alec's breath hitched. It suddenly occurred to Magnus, that Alec may not remember what had happened in the parking lot last Friday morning. Alec's eyes sparkled.

"I love you, too." Magnus leaned forward and caught Alec's lips.

"You two are adorable together," they heard someone say behind them. Magnus turned around and saw Tessa standing in the doorway, chart in one hand and a little container of pills in the other. Magnus smiled at her and Alec's face turned red. She walked over and handed Alec the pills.

"These are for your bruised chest, they'll put you right to sleep. Whoever tackled you must have been a train," she commented. Then she turned to Magnus and whispered in his ear, "Friends?" It was Magnus' turn to blush and Tessa smiled knowingly. She watched Alec take the pills and left promptly.

"What did she say to you?" Alec asked, leaning his head back again and closing his eyes.

"Oh, nothing."

"Nothing?" he questioned.

"Sleep tight, darling." Magnus said, and Alec held onto Magnus' hand until he fell asleep and even in his dreams he didn't let go.