Facing the Dragon (19)

About a week and a half later, Alec was told he could go home. On the day he was released, his family was fretting around him trying to help him do everything. Isabelle was trying to pack up his things and his mother was trying to plan out the rest of his life.

"And you will never play football again-- Alexander, I swear--" Alec was being told the same things for the past week. His father would tell Maryse to calm down and they would start to fight. Alec was being suffocated by his family and he just wanted space to breathe. Alec sat on the bed to tie his shoes and Isabelle slapped his hand.

"Let me do it--"

"Izzy, I can tie my own shoes!" He tried to get her to stop but eventually just gave up. His eyes met Jace's across the room and he gave him a pleading look.

"Alright! Everyone out!" Jace shouted.

"Jonathan--" Maryse began, but he stopped her.

"Everyone out!" he said, again. "I'll make sure Alec doesn't hurt himself, everyone else out. We'll meet you in the lobby." He kicked everyone out of the room and Alec sighed.

"Thank you." Jace leaned against the wall and shrugged.

"You okay?"

"I will be when everyone backs off."

"They're--"

"I know, they're just trying to help."

"No. They're crazy." They laughed. Alec finished tying his shoes and looked up at his brother. "Alec, I um..." he shifted, awkwardly. "I wanted to apologize."

"Why?"

"I'm sorry you didn't think you could tell me about Magnus." Alec tugged at his shirt.

"I don't know--"

"Shut up. When you were in a coma, he was here. Izzy told me. I just wanted to say that I'm cool with it. So, don't worry about it anymore." Alec nodded. "Oh! And I have a surprise for you." Alec raised his eyebrow. "Come on, grab your stuff." Alec tried to put on his jacket by himself but he winced. His chest was getting better but it still hurt a little bit. Jace helped him get his left arm into its sleeve and he took Alec's bag for him.

When the elevator dinged open, Alec noticed his family sitting in the lobby waiting, but that wasn't his surprise. As if he had timed it with the elevator, Magnus walked into the hospital. He pushed his sunglass onto his head, and turned to look for Alec.

"I called him," Jace began to explain. "I know if you go home you'll have everyone around you and you'll never have a moment of silence. Between Isabelle's consistent hovering and Maryse and Robert's bickering you'll lose your mind. So I called Magnus and he said he would gladly take you to his place until you're ready to come back home. I brought most of your things to his loft already so you can't say no because it will have been a waste of my precious time." Alec looked at his brother with a huge smile.

"Thank you." Jace patted his back. 

"Don't leave him waiting." Alec and Jace walked over to Magnus. Jace handed him, Alec's bag and he walked away.

"Hello, darling." Alec noticed his entire family watching them carefully, although Isabelle's look was less confused and more prideful.

"Kiss me." Magnus looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

"Don't have to ask me twice." Alec placed his hands on his boyfriend's chest, still unable to raise his arms very high. Magnus bent his head down and kissed Alec. It was soft and gentle as if they were kissing for the very first time again. When they pulled away, Alec looked at his family. Isabelle and Jace fist bumped. Maryse had her hand risen to her mouth in shock. Robert stood with a look of shock and horror. Alec just laughed and Magnus swung his arm around his shoulder and they walked out of the hospital together. Alec felt as though he had just killed the one thing holding him back. His self doubt, his worry, his need to conform. He just killed his own dragon of fear. He knew that nothing could stop him from living his life anymore. All his time in the hospital showed him that he could die at any second. He was mortal and he wasn't going to live forever or stay in a bubble. He didn't want to die knowing that he never showed the world who he truly was. He killed his dragon that day and left it in that hospital. Like Jordan had said to him, leave your baggage behind