Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

I watched Nikolas unconsciously fall to the ground. “Thank you, Fredrick,” I said.

He nodded his head as if to say ‘you’re welcome.’ “He could’ve killed you. You need to practice your swordsmanship,” said Fredrick.

“Shall we see you Nikolas is?” asked Gerry.

“I think his identity has been hidden long enough,” I replied. We flipped him over on his back. I couldn’t help but notice how womanly his features were. I yanked his mask off his eyes. All three of us gasped.

“Princess Arianna?” I said out loud.

“That can’t be her. She’s a princess and Nikolas is a thief. There must be some kind of mistake. Nikolas is a man. The princess is, well she’s a woman. I don’t understand why she would disguise herself as a man and steal. I would imagine the princess to be happy about getting more money,” said Gerry.

“Princess Arianna hates how her father taxes the people so much. I never thought she would ever do anything about it,” said Fredrick.

I stood there in shock. ‘Why did she not tell me? I trusted her. She has lied to me. Why did I teach her how to use a sword? She used that knowledge to steal. But why would she steal from her own father?’ Those questions whirled in my head. I felt betrayed, confused, and for some reason that I do not know, I started to love her even more. The way Arianna betrayed her father to help her country was incredible.

“Shouldn’t we tell someone?” asked Gerry.

“No. This must be kept secret until we can get answers. King Phillip will not have mercy on his daughter. He will send her to prison if he ever found out. We must keep this a secret. Is there anywhere we can bring her until she becomes conscious again?” I asked.

“There’s a stream not far from here. It’s a beautiful spot. We can bring her there then get answers,” answered Fredrick.

I picked Arianna up. She was lighter that I expected. “Fredrick, grab her sword. Gerry, would you tie the horses?” We walked over to the little brook. I set Arianna against a tree.

We sat there, watching her, for almost half an hour. I was beginning to worry. I checked her pulse. It was normal. Then she started to stir. “Arianna?” I whispered.

* * *

I knew I was being moved, but I couldn’t open my eyes. I struggled to wake up but couldn’t. I gave up trying. I fell back to a deep sleep.

I woke up feeling someone’s hand on my wrist, checking my pulse. I tried opening my eyes again. The light hurt and my head ached. I lifted my arm to feel the back of my head. I felt a bump and it hurt. I opened my eyes completely and saw Henry, the tax collector, and Fredrick staring at me. I felt the heat rise from my neck to my cheeks. Then I suddenly realized I was not wearing my mask. ‘They know,’ I thought. I felt guilty.

“Arianna, are you alright?” asked Henry, concern in his voice.

“Yes,” I simply answered.

“Will you answer some questions for us?” asked Fredrick.

“Yes,” I answered again.

“Why?” asked Henry with hurt in his voice. He did not need to add to his question. I knew exactly what he was asking.

“I needed to. For my people, for my country. They are starving. We have plenty to live on for years. Father is not aware of how much the people need. I couldn’t stay in my castle any longer. Living in there enjoying my luxuries while people right outside my window are starving,” I answered.