Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty-Six

The door to the old building cracked open and revealed part of a young woman. The door opened wider and the rest of the woman was revealed. She was dark skinned with black curly hair that was cut to her ears. Her eyes were a piercing blue, a complete contradiction to her skin and hair. She was taller than me by at least two inches.

“Can I help you?” asked the woman. Her voice was calming and smooth.

“I was told you can help me,” I replied.

“Come inside.”

I walked across the threshold and stepped into a dark, stuffy room. I let my eyes adjust to the light then walked in further. A desk, covered in papers, was on one side of the room, a set of chairs was in the middle, a bookshelf full of medical books and jars of herbs was along the farthest wall, and a door which I assumed led to a kitchen or bedroom.

“What is your name?” I asked.

“Beatrice. And your name?” she asked in reply.

“Nikolas,” I answered.

“Where are you from, Nikolas?

“The capital.”

“Might I ask if your father has died recently?”

“He has in fact. Do you not know who I am?” I asked.

“I know who you are. I was just making sure you were Arianna. Please, follow me into the back room,” said Beatrice.

I walked behind Beatrice into a smaller room. There was a table pushed up against the wall with a chair on three sides of it. A petite kitchen was on the other side of the table. At the far end of the room, right underneath a window with tattered curtains, was a small bed.

“Please have a seat. Would you like a cup of tea?”

“That would be lovely,” I said as I sat on the rickety chair.

Beatrice handed me a teacup and sat down across from me. “How has your trip been so far?” she asked.

“It’s been satisfying. Better than I expected. I haven’t had the need to use my weapons yet, thankfully,” I replied.

“That’s good. I hope God continues to grant you such good fortune.”

“Thank you. Now, may I ask if you have any instructions for me?”

“You can stay with me for as long as you like. Try not to talk to many people unless necessary and do not draw attention to yourself. When you decide to move on, do not tell anyone, not even me. Just leave. It’s the safest thing to do. When you reach the next town, do not enter it. It is a dangerous place and is full of officers right now. The town after that is safer but it would be a good idea to pass it as well. The rest of the towns will be risks. I have not traveled further than that. Knock three times on the doctor’s door like you did earlier on my door. You can stay in my house if you would like. I don’t want you to spend your money on that expensive inn,” said Beatrice.

“I don’t want to impose,” I replied.

“It’s no problem at all. I insist.”

“Thank you.”

I spent the day with Beatrice. She was very kind to me. One woman came into the building and asked for some medicine for her child. Beatrice politely gave her the correct herbs and directions. I helped her clean, cook, and bake. We talked as if we had known each other for years. I was delighted to have her companionship.

* * *

I woke up from my nap and heard a riot outside again. ‘Oh no,’ I thought. ‘Jasmine still does not have an answer.’ I put my book back in the shelf and walked down to the courtyard. Jasmine and Sir Peter were standing there with Prince Garrett. I walked closer to them and joined their conversation.