Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

“I think Sir Walter sabotaged the tournament,” I said.

“How?” asked Henry.

“Fredrick was standing on the sidelines where your horse reared. He said the snake was not there when you passed Sir Walter the first time. And he told me he saw Sir Walter carrying a knapsack when he came to the tournament. He couldn’t see what was in it, but it moved,” I explained.

“Are you saying that Sir Walter released the snake, knowing my horse is scared, to win?” asked Henry.

“I’m saying he might have done it. I know Sir Walter is an evil man, but I don’t think he would stoop so low as to cheat.”

“I would believe it.”

“Henry, don’t be so quick to judge. I’m only thinking. I would like to give him a trial. The law says that if a man cheats while competing for a woman, he will be put in the stocks for three days and cannot have the girl,” I said.

“What are you going to do?”

“I’m going to talk to father about it.”

“I’ll go with you,” Henry said. He tried to get up but then moaned in pain.

“Oh Henry don’t get up! The doctor said you have three broken ribs. You need to stay in bed for a while. I can tell father by myself,” I said.

“Fine. I don’t see how I can stay in bed all day,” said Henry.

“I’ll come and keep you company later. I have some things I need to do first,” I said.

I walked out of the room and towards my father’s study. I heard his deep voice coming from the meeting room as I walked past. ‘I didn’t know they were having a meeting,’ I thought. I walked to my room instead and crawled through the tunnel. I listened carefully.

“My son would like to marry your daughter,” said a voice. I assumed it was King Derek.

“He lost the tournament. Sir Walter is going to marry her,” said King Phillip. He sounded rather aggravated.

“Not Princess Arianna. He wants to marry Princess Jasmine. As I recall, when I arrived and we agreed to this tournament, you said the two could marry if Prince Garrett lost,” said King Derek. I gasped. ‘So they have planned this?’ I thought.

“That is true. Out of curiosity, did your son ask to marry my daughter?”

“Yes. He said he is in love with her, and she is in love with him. I think they make a good match. Their tempers are very similar.”

“I give my permission. But our countries do not join together,” said my father.

“And why not? That is what we agreed with Arianna?” asked King Derek.

“Arianna is to inherit Great Lektra and become queen one day. Jasmine is only a princess

and does not inherit any of the kingdom. But hear me out. If they marry, we can form an alliance. Is that to your satisfactory?” said King Phillip.

“I believe it is,” answered King Derek. They talked for several minutes about the terms of the alliance. I would agree to them as well. King Derek finally dismissed himself and I walked to the meeting room. I knocked on the door.

“Enter,” said my father. I walked in and curtsied.

“I would like to talk to you about the results of the tournament,” I said.

“What about them?”

“I believe Sir Walter sabotaged the joust.”

“Why on earth would you say such a thing as that? Sir Walter is an honorable man,” said my father.