XXI

XXI

When we got to our hotel room two days later, I locked the bathroom door and tried to puke my life out. Max tried to get me to come out, and Logan did too for awhile, then realizing it wasn't going to do much good. The walls murmured their conversation from my ears. All I could feel was misery and the acid irritating my throat.

After I brushed my teeth, I went into the suite and found Max and Logan munching on McDonald's. A bag was on my bed, waiting for me. I pushed it aside and sat in its seat.

"You alright, Margot?" Max asked me with his mouth full of fries.

I shrugged. "I don't know." I really didn't. I had to date some famous boy and keep away from the girl I loved. I wasn't okay at all.

"Sorry about how the meeting went down." Lo said sympathetically. "But maybe there's something we can do to fix this."

"But there isn't." I groaned angrily, and dipped my head down into my concealing hands. "I have to date that stupid what's-his-name."

Logan tapped his chin. "Uh, that one dude from the kid's show...Nathan Kress?"

"That one." I murmured grumpily.

Apparently, Nathan Kress needed the publicity. After being in the hit show, he hadn't had much at all. The "boyfriend-girlfriend" thing was going to kick off his career and open more opportunities for him. He was young, he was attractive, and dating me would have the media explode with delight.

We were supposed to have a date in three hours.

Max got up from his bed and sat next to me to give me a hug. He didn't say much, but I didn't care. I was just glad he was there. Logan joined in too, pinching my cheek in an effort to get me to smile. It didn't work, but I squeezed his in order to tell him I appreciated it.

"When's Harrison coming?"

"He's flying here right now. " Max told me. "Gonna help us make you look all dolled up."

I wrinkled my face.

"I'll do your makeup." Logan volunteered. "If you don't mind looking like a clown."

They were trying to make me feel better. I tried to smile at the attempt but couldn't. Instead, I mumbled something about writing a song and took the greasy bag with me back into the bathroom. I didn't do it at first, though. What I really wanted was a smoke.

__________

"So how's it like, performing and all?"

I pushed around the leaves of my expensive salad. He was kind of boring if you gave him too much attention. After he was done talking about himself and the college he was going to and all the cheery good fun he had with the iCarly cast, Nathan automatically switched to fanboy mode.

"Fun." I said in a sarcastically bored tone.

"How?"

Jesus Christ, I was gonna need someone to hit me with a brick before I kicked him on his possibly unsatisfactory penis.

"I guess it's just the reactions of the people to our music that makes it enjoyable."

"Wow. Hey, Jeanette's a singer, have you heard her on YouTube?"

I stabbed at the spinach. "I'm a millionaire and I don't have time for YouTube. The only time I've seen her was on Twitter with her boobs hanging out."

He sighed, and pulled out his phone for awhile. I tried some of the salad, and to my dismay, the dressing was awful. His phone made funky noises as I tried to gag down the infuriating greens.

"You know, I was hoping this would be more fun." Nathan told me glumly once he put his phone back in his pocket.

I was sure he was expecting a lot of things. I'm sure after he talked to his manager about the deal, that he was excited for his popularity to blow up. I'm sure he felt bad that I was mourning my love. I'm sure he watched interviews with me on the Internet to get an idea about what I was like. And I am positive he knew then that I wasn't the character people made me out to be.

"I was hoping you'd be a less annoying beard." Was my only reply. It was the only nice reply I could muster, in some awfully wounded heart.

"Can't you be, I don't know, nicer? You're acting as if this is my fault that you can't see Rihanna anymore."

I pushed my plate away. "Just ask for the check, please, so we can pose for the paps and I can go to my hotel."

He looked at me like I was someone worth having pity for. The pitiful are the worthless. I was okay. I didn't need anyone's sad looks or apologies for something they couldn't fix. Especially not him. I was using him and he was using me. I glared back at him, and Nathan signaled the waiter.

The waiter dropped the check at the end of the table. I snatched for it before he could grab it.

"I'll pay for it." He said quietly, either like he didn't want to anger me or be insulted. "It's not like I'm poor."

"Least I could do," I sighed. "for having you put up with me."

He let me pay the check, and we exited the high-class café. Outside, sent by Matt, were the paparazzi. They snapped pictures of our fake smiles and adored our false romance. My cheeks hurt by the end of it. Like a true gentleman, Nathan opened the door for me to his car, and drove me to the hotel in a calm silence.

Nothing against Nathan Kress, just thought he would be interesting to write about as Margot's beard, and as an adult out of a stable job. Thanks for getting me to 1K views! It's quite a nice feeling.

On a different note, this story will be reaching an end soon. SO CLOSE! Can't tell you exactly how many chapters because I am sure I will change it, but approximately four more.

Bye!!!