XXV

XXV

"Margot."

I heard it over and over. It was a distant call from beyond, somewhere I couldn't reach. The name was repeated until it didn't even sound like it was mine.

"Margot. Margot."

Stop, I wanted to say. I can't get to you. You're too far, and I'm so, so tired.

"Margot!"

That was a different voice. It wasn't like the others, whose murmurs sounded the same. It was worried. I didn't like that. Nothing so pretty should be worried.

"Margot, please!"

Don't cry. Please don't be sad, pretty voice.

"I'm so sorry, Margot."

"For what?" I managed to reply. It felt laborious to even move my mouth. I coughed twice.

My eyes opened, and there were lights like before. But not quite. Faces were looking down at me, but none mattered as much as hers.

Robyn was crying, tears just cascading without end. I frowned, and wiped a few with my thumb. This was my girlfriend. She was here. Her hand grabbed mine on her face, kissing and squeezing it.

"You're okay." Robyn said with the tears still in her voice.

I nodded. The doctor told the others in the room to leave to give us privacy. The door shut. My eyes never drifted towards them. "I am, when I'm with you." I croaked, then cleared my throat obnoxiously.

She smiled shakily. Her gentle hands touched my face, swept my hair to the side. Just feeling me and reminding herself that I was there. I closed my eyes and let her touch take me over. I was so, so happy she was with me.

"I love you." I told her with my eyes closed.

"I love you too." She whispered, and kissed me.

It felt reviving, like magic. I leaned into the familiar action, the routine of moving lips with wandering hands. But the kiss was also...final. It was too desperate like we were making up for more than the lost time from our separation. At the time I ignored it and simply gave in to her illusion of a happy ending.

I started to cry before the kiss got sexy or anything. I think I scared Robyn. She pulled away and looked at me with worry. "What's wrong?"

I just hugged her instead, pulling her next to me on the hospital bed. My body was shaking from sobbing. "Robyn. My Robyn. You're here." I choked out.

"I'm here." She soothed. "I'm here."

I held her tighter. "Don't leave."

"I won't."

"You have to promise."

"I promise." Robyn told me without hesitation.

I wrapped my pinky around hers. "Now you absolutely have to keep that promise." I insisted.

"I would've anyways."

"I just wanted to make sure."

She kissed my forehead comfortingly. I noticed her hair was straight now, and the bags under her eyes concealed by makeup. "I've missed you." I told her. "Nothing makes sense if I don't have you."

"Me too, baby." Robyn placed her head gingerly on my chest. Her eyes closed. "I need you so much."

I let the voicelessness of the room fix things. There was her, and I, in warmth and the comfort of each other. And all those days of misery vanished because I had my happiness with me. No one else would exist in the world but us. We had to be together because every cliche love story said so. We found love in a hopeless place and there wasn't supposed to be anything that would rob us of it.

Until we were yanked apart.

Matt stared at me with a cold indifference. Robyn was pulled out of the bed to his side, his hand on her small shoulder. "Margot Malone. Well, well. I guess our little rock star passed out during the opening act."

I said nothing.

"Your album is coming out tomorrow, which means you'll be leaving the opening act to go on your own tour. You've fainted in a fucking opening act, and you cannot do it at a tour. Got that?"

"I didn't have Robyn." I protested. "That's why I passed out. I literally felt awful all over. You took her away from me. It'll happen again if I'm not allowed to see her."

His eyes were coal, all dusty and lacking color. I tried for mine to be like his. He had the eyes of someone who won no matter what. "Get used to it, she can't be with you."

"But why not?" I wailed, tears forming. In my clenched hands were the sheets. I knew was being a fucking baby but I couldn't help it. Robyn tried to reach for me but Matt swatted her hand away. "You can't do that."

"Yes I can." His voice was calm.

I almost believed him. "No?"

"No." He clarified, his arm now low around Robyn's waist. She shook under his touch. "Because you won't want her anymore."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Because I've slept with her." Matt stated simply.