XXVII

XXVII

Robyn smiles sheepishly. "Could I come in, or is that too much to ask?"

I blink stupidly. "You're here."

"Ha, um, yeah." Her hair was a bob like mine had been, but curled. She was wearing a pretty red dress that went down just above her knees. She definitely looked older, but in a good way. More mature.

"Why are you here now?" I ask quietly, not wanting to wake up Akira. Or let Akira know she was here. Or let Robyn-no, Rihanna-know he was here.

Her eyes water. "I-I wanted to talk."

"But why now?" I press. I would've thought it would take her less than nine years to get the incentive to talk.

She avoids the question and looks me over. "I like your hair." She says and adds, "You've changed."

I pull at the side bang dangling near my eye. I had been given a pixie cut. It looked nice too, thanks to a very good (and very expensive) hairstylist. My style had also matured. My tank tops were replaced by shirts and sweaters, ripped jeans by skinnies. I'm definitely not a teenager anymore. I almost laugh aloud at the realization. I am a different Margot than the one she used to know.

The amusement ends and I shake my head, remembering her betrayal. "You need to leave."

Her face falls. I almost regret the words that came out of my mouth. "Margot, please, let me talk. Let me say what I came to say."

"No. Get out."

"Please. I miss you, and I know you feel the same way. I heard you singing my song-"

I bite my lip in anger. "It was only for entertainment purposes. For my son."

Her eyes shine at the mention of Akira. I bet she's heard of him in the news, and how I'm raising him as a single parent. Maybe she's thinking of how he could've been our son. My heart aches at the thought but I keep my face stony.

My voice becomes firmer this time. "Just leave, Robyn."

"Okay, okay." She stammers, and rummages for something in her purse. She's nervous and it makes her exotic accent slightly heavier. "Just...read this, please? If you don't want to hear it."

She hands me an envelope. I take it hesitantly, thinking that I might as well do her one last favor. "Okay."

Robyn and I stare at each other. I'm trying to find some closure before she hangs her head and walks away quickly. I want to say something, but I'm not sure what.

I watch her leave then close the door. I'm still in disbelief that I actually saw her again, and mentally beating myself up for not letting her speak. My back leans against the door as I tear the envelope open.

A letter.

Dear Margot,

If you're reading this, then you did not want me to personally say all of this to you. I thought you wouldn't. I know I did a terrible thing, but I felt like I had to do this for you and myself.

Matt and I did not sleep together. I had to pretend that we did in front of you because he wanted to finally break you. He wanted you to be his puppet and if he controlled you, then he could control the rest of the band. He had blackmailed me into doing it because he had proof that we had a sexual relationship. He recorded the...noises we made in the recording studio bathroom a long time ago. Matt would have put it online and the recording would have hurt our careers. Not to mention how embarrassing it would have been. I had ended the phone call with you the day you snuck out of your hotel because I knew he would be angry if he knew. I yelled at you when you left the concert to show Matt that I didn't care about you. It was physically hard for me to do all of that, and I'm sorry.