Chapter 23 // What Is Up With You?

Chloe's POV.

After arriving in Las Vegas, Hotch made us split up in pairs so that we could visit the crime scene, the morgue, and the victim's relatives. Guess who I was told to visit the morgue with? If you guessed Reid, then you deserve a gold star. 

The car ride was full of silence. We didn't even talk about the details of the case. Oh, and awkward was an understatement. I still had absolutely no idea as to why he was mad at me, and I didn't feel like asking him and having him lash out at me. Once we got to the morgue and met up with the mortician was when we actually started to talk to each other.

"There are rope burns around their wrists and ankles." I observed as the mortician pulled off the blanket covering the first victims. "And there are several stab wounds in their chest and stomach area." 

"Twenty-seven." Reid corrected me. How the hell did he count them so quickly? Actually, I shouldn't be so surprised. The damn guy knew that there were 800 corn kernels on the average cob.

"The stab wounds were done post-mortem." The mortician informed us, "What initially killed them was the amount of heroine mixed into their wine." 

"Why would he stab them after they've died?" I asked, turning towards the mortician. However, Reid was the one to answer, "He might have a lot of anger towards them. He could also be confused or upset over something." 

"Sounds like someone I know." I mumbled.

"Alright, well, thank you. We've gotta get back to the police station." Reid said to the moritician, completely ignoring me. The mortician thanked us for our time and then we were on our way. As we walked back to the car, I decided that now would probably be the best time to ask him what was wrong considering this may have been our only time alone together for the rest of this case.

"What is up with you?" I asked, turning my head towards him. "What do you mean?" He asked back, keeping his gaze on the road as he drove. "You know exactly what I mean, Spencer." I retorted, coming off more pissed off than I actually was.

Reid replied almost immediately, "Actually, Chloe, I don't know what you mean." 

"Ever since you bailed on me at the hospital, you've been completely ignoring me! Everyone on our team came to visit me during my week off except you and you've been acting like a complete dick to me!" I exclaimed as he pulled in to a parking space at the station. 

We sat there in silence with me looking at him, waiting for a reply, and him refusing to make eye contact with me. 

"Well?" I asked, throwing my hands up. 

"There is a reason, Chloe, but I can't tell you. At least not now." He finally responded after what seemed like hours. "You can't tell me?" I scoffed. After waiting for him to respond for way too long, I finally decided to just get out of the car and meet up with the rest of the team. If he wasn't going to tell me, then I should just act like I don't care.

Even if I knew for a fact that not knowing would bother me throughout the rest of this case.