16. I Gotta

Nilan Jones
Malibu, California
The Streets

12 years old and I've been put out for the first time in my whole life

12 years old and I've been put out for the first time in my whole life. I've watched so many movies to where this has happened and i learned things I can do to stay alive. But I gotta admit that I see how they feel when they're left out on their own with no one to help them.

I can't believe Daddy let this happen, but I guess I judged him too soon. I thought he cared for me. I guess he does hate me for switching places with Neveah. I guess he didn't want me from the beginning.

I want to go home.

There was a store opened on the corner as far as I could see. I was hungry and needed food, but I didn't want to spend any money. Mommy taught me that saving money was better than spending it.

People were scattered about on the sidewalks enjoying the air and mingling amongst themselves. They would stare at me sometimes, but I kept walking to prevent being snatched.

When I made it to the corner store, I went in and looked around to see if anything was worth spending a couple of dollars on. I tightened the strap on my backpack and licked my lips in awe at all the snacks I didn't feel like buying.

"Excuse me, little girl? What are you doing here by yourself? Shoo!" The man behind the counter said to me.

"I'm really hungry. I could use a snack, Sir." I told him politely since he had already been eyeing me like a hawk.

"Me have no snack for you if you don't got money! Shoo!"

I sighed and rubbed my eyes sleepily. He was being mean and unnecessary. "Alright."

Walking out, I kept it trucking. It was getting really late and I needed a place to sleep. I was about to go to a park until I saw an airplane flying over head. It made me think about a way I could go home to my mom and Neveah.

"If I go to the airport, I can get out of Malibu and find my mom." I said to myself. "Then me and Veah can be with mom instead of mean Daddy."

Cars flew by as I stood alongside the road to think of a way to get to the airport quickly.

"Excuse me! Taxi!" I yelled at the taxicab that was driving by. He stopped and I rushed to him so he could take me there faster.

I got in and he took off with no questions. He was playing some old skool and bopping his head to the beat.

"I'd like to go to the airport." I told the driver. "I have family waiting there."

"Alright, Miss. It's about an hour away so sit tight and enjoy the music. You like old skool?" He asked me.

"Yeah. My mom listens to Chaka Kahn and Aretha Franklin a lot. She even listens to rap music too." I explained.

He chuckled and nodded. "I like that music too. But the new music doesn't hit home like the old skool is blues."