36. You're The Moon To My Universe

Onika Maraj
Atlantis, Bahamas

I sat down on the comfy bed and took a breath. It's pushing nine o'clock at night, but I wasn't tired. I still had two to three more hours to find the twins and spend the last bit of their birthday with them.

I can't believe Nasir and I was outsmarted again by our girls. They've made a bad habit with the running away, but I can't be oblivious to the fact that it's our fault for not being the parents that the girls need us to be. Nilan wouldn't have the time to sneak out if I would just put more effort into being her mother, their mother. I can understand why they ran off this time just as much as why they ran off the first time. We treated them like babies and played them as if they weren't old enough to know what's happening around them. They wanted to be together. Nasir and I prevented that. So, they did what they had to do to make sure this day would be special for them...together.

My phone alerted me once more. I grabbed it and took a look at where the girls were. The place was the arcade a little bit away from this resort. I turned off the app so that they wouldn't know I was coming to be there with them.

Getting dressed, I combed my straight hair down my back and slid on my sandals. I removed my makeup and lashes so that I could look ordinary as possible since I came here alone. I didn't want security or anyone following me. Even though it's risky, I want it to be just me and my girls.

Grabbing my keys, wallet, and room key, I stepped out and took the stairs down to the back. I went outside and took in the fresh air. I slid on the golf cart that was waiting.

"The arcade." I told the guy who's name tagged read Liam.

"Yes ma'am."

Liam drove quickly as I took in all the scenery. It was beautiful even at night. The drive took only a few minutes and Liam helped me off.

"Thank you." I told him and walked inside of the arcade.

I walked carefully around the place until I saw the girls with another set of twins playing basketball. I slid inside of a vacant booth and just watched them with a little smile. They were having a lot of fun, and I didn't want to mess it up for them.

Around ten o'clock is when I decided to get up to let them know I was here.  I walked over to them. One of the other set of twin's eyes grew wide.

"No, no. I j-just wanted to b-be with my g-girls." I held my hands up in defense. I never stuttered a day in my life, but I just felt like the girls would run away from me.

Nilan looked at me and I could only stare at her in relief that they were okay.

"Hey, Mommy." Nevaeh came over to me first. She gave me a hug and I grinned a bit waiting for Nilan.

"Hi, Baby. Happy Birthday." I said softly.

Nilan then stepped over. I moved a stray out of her face and pulled her over to me. "Hi, Mommy. Glad to see you."

"Hey, Princess. I'm glad to see you too. Happy birthday." I hugged her tightly.

I stepped back as they looked up at me. I couldn't tell if they were upset or happy to see me. I could only expect that they would be upset.

"I wanted to spend the last hours of your birthday with you. I don't want to crash it." I explained further.

"These are our friends Dallas and Daisy. Y'all, this is our mom, Onika." Nevaeh introduced.

The girls told me hi and turned to my girls. "We want you two to spend the rest of the night with your mom. Dallas and I leave in the morning, but at least we had fun together with y'all." Daisy said.