31. Be A Parent

Nevaeh Jones
Malibu, California

                I listened to Nicki holler, scream, and cry at D for what he did to Ni. It was actually good to hear her go off like that and be protective.

"You okay. You get up." She told Ni who was sitting on the bed with her phone on the pillow next to her. She had me on pause.

"I'm straight. My head hurt, but I'm good." Nilan told her. "Is you okay though?"

"I'm fine. He's gone for good now, so you don't ever have to worry about him. I promise. They're changing all the locks on the doors and windows right now and here's the new key. If you ever see him here again while I'm away, you better call me."

"Alright." Ni said.

I looked at the phone and saw Ni looking at me. She rolled her eyes and I gave her a crooked smirk.

"She leaving." I mouthed and Ni nodded her head. "Always."

Nilan walked somewhere and I ate my candy. My end was quiet as it always was. I'm convinced that Daddy was never coming home.

Just my luck, my door flew open and Nasir walked in.

"Hello." I greeted him as he rubbed his hands like Birdman.

"What's up, Youngin. What you been doing lately?"

"Living." I snorted and he took a seat beside me.

"Cutting right to the chase, I wanted to know if you would like to come to a little gathering for your birthday. I couldn't cancel, so I'm inviting you. It's a thing the industry hosting and we're announcing my new album so it'll be cool if you'd come through." He suggested with a small smile. "Come on, Daddy's princess. Do it for me?"

"And it's on my birthday?" I clarified.

"Yeah. It's the night of your birthday. I'll come by to pick you up around seven and you can accompany me and Star. It's just a little birthday gift. Other kids will be there too."

Come again, say what?

"No I'm fine." I shrugged. "You can just get me a gift. I'll stay home."

He smacked his teeth. "Vaeh, you used to love hanging with me. Now the one time I invite you some where, you say no."

"Daddy, I don't wanna go to no industry party. I'll just spend my day here." I argued.

He let out a dramatic sigh. "Fine then. I guess I'll just ask Star and her newly found daughter. Oh yeah, I want you to meet Star's daughter. She's around your age and she'll be starting school with you soon too."

"Why I got to meet her?" I frowned up my face.

"Because I said so. They'll be family real soon, so y'all need to get to know each other."

"Family? So you're really marrying her? You didn't even tell me."

He gave me a "Have you lost your mind?" look. "I don't have to tell you anything unless I want to. Now don't get shit twisted, Nevaeh. You done got a nasty little attitude since you came from being with your mama and I don't like that. Cool it."

"Okay." I smartly replied.

He shook his head and left my room. I closed the door and locked it shut. He really had my nerves trembling.

"Ni?" I called her name since she was quiet.

"I'm right here. I heard it all." She replied and came on screen. "You good?"

"I'm fine. I just realized how screwed our lives really are."

"Elaborate."

I cleared my throat and sat up in my bed. "Usually I'm not one to doubt, but our lives are so screwed up. We've gone almost thirteen years without knowing a lick of paint about each other. The one time we do get together, we're ripped apart and lied to. We are miles and miles away from each other and the only time we see each other is if we sneak and run away. Eventually, that'll have to stop. Mom and Dad aren't even in love anymore, and they keep starting lives with other people."

"So, we just gonna have to take matters into our own hands until our feelings and wants matter to them. Being the undercover daughters of celebrities isn't easy, Vaeh. I get it. But that doesn't mean they have to keep us apart. Time will soon show them that it's not right. It's time to bring their twins together. We know of each other now. We deserve to no longer be separated."

"What are we gonna do, Nilan?" I rolled my eyes. "The birthday trip might be the tip of the ice berg."

She paused her walking and stared at me through the phone. I looked at her the same way.

"We've put in too much work, secrecy, and money to stop this trip. We will think of a way to bring some form of unity once we enjoy our birthdays. Matter of fact, I have another plan to add to this one." She assured me.

After making sure we didn't have any listening ears, Nilan went over a new plan to go along with Operation Twitches. We call it "Operation Gold".

For the second time, I felt relieved. There was no way this plan wasn't going to work. It was way too good and we didn't need to spend much money. If anything, we needed to channel our emotions with our parents.

The night soon fell for me and morning fell for Nilan. I was sleeping peacefully until my phone's alarm went off. It was Nilan.

I answered the FaceTime call. "Hm?"

"I know you're sleepy, but we're one day away from liftoff. I can't rest until we have everything in order."

She had her face covered which meant she was outside. I frowned. "Girl, it's the middle of the night here."

"Well I was freaking panicking, Nevaeh."

"Okay. Okay. Why aren't you in school?"

I sat up and stretched before yawning. I pulled my braids in a low ponytail and grabbed my phone again.

"I skipped school today. Skailar is filling in for me though and making sure no one marks me absent. No one was home when I left." She explained.

She flipped the camera and I saw she was at the post office in Paris.

"What are you doing there?"

"I'm getting the last thing we needed for Operation Gold. I ordered the piece you suggested."

"Oh. Hold on, Ni."

I paused the call and checked my messages. They were mostly from Chrissy and Nilan. I cleared my throat and took a sip of my water before going back to the call.

"I'm back."

"Okay. Once I get this package home, I'm going to put everything in another fragile luggage. Then I'll take a nap until midnight."

"Alright. I'm gonna go ahead and go back to sleep. I love you. Night."

She chuckled. "I love you too. Night."

— One day away 🙂

— So did you pick a destination?

— How am I doing so far with the ideas?

— Which twin is your fav if you have one? I have no fave. I love 'em both.

— Vote. Comment.