Chapter Seven: Letting Go

Warm steam rose from the water's surface and crept over her face, causing a light sigh to escape her lips. Wanda was leaning back against the large pericline tub, her eyes closed as she enjoyed the surrounding hot water. A nice, quiet bath always relaxed her even as a child. When the world seemed too big for her and she just wanted to be alone. Even at that age though she knew that on the other side of the bathroom door the world was waiting. Pietro would be running up and down the hall, completely convinced he was a blur when he passed by. Funny how things advance. Their mother would have her long brown curls pinned up as she leaned over the stove perfecting her bryndzové halušky while their father had his feet kicked up in his chair, reading the paper aloud for his wife to hear. Wanda would sit in the water, her hair which had always been long would flow behind her in waves, she would close her eyes and relax. Pietro knew she did this, so to make sure she wouldn't fall asleep and drown he would lightly tap at the door every five minutes, always having her back.

Meditation seemed to set in as her mind wandered, she could imagine hands wrapping around her, she wasn't alone in the tub. They rubbed her shoulders, caressed her neck, it was soothing and thoughtful. For a moment she imagined herself before the war, before the snap, when her and Vision were alone and very much in love. A cool breath tickled her back as she awaited lips on her neck, but when they came something was different. There was a roughness to it, scruff on the face. Wanda didn't move, she was enjoying it. The kisses lingered as they reached her neck, she leaned back and listened to the whisper in her ear, Bucky's raspy voice, "прекрасный"

Wanda sat up straight in the tub quickly, her eyes shot open and she realized she was imagining it. Heart racing she felt enraged, not because she came up with this in her mind, but because there was a part of her, a big part, that actually enjoyed it. Perhaps she was over exaggerating things, after all they were all allowed to had normal things in their lives. Wanda knew she should apologize to James for being so short with him, so she drained the tub and stepped out. Goosebumps rose on her skin as the chilly air tickled past her, she pulled on her robe and ventured back to her room. Maybe it was time to let some things go.

In the bathroom downstairs near his room, Bucky stood in the shower, cool water washing over him as he leaned forward, arm against the wall, and let the water rush over his head. When he felt like he needed a moment alone, he always took a shower. It was a time where he felt he couldn't be bothered, even as a soldier he would sneak into the bathrooms after everyone was asleep and take his shower. Cold water was just something he was use to, it felt food on his tense muscles. Bucky did feel bad for his snap at Sam, knowing he would have to apologize to him. Under the circumstances, Sam was doing a spectacular job as their leader, and Bucky would have to tell him that.

Once he felt like his fingers pruned enough he stepped out, dried off, and pulled on his plaid lounge pants before grabbing a smaller towel and ruffling it through his long hair as he strolled toward his room. Though much to his surprised when he walked into the door he realized he was not alone. Wanda had entered his room a bit before he had finished his shower, she had past by the bathroom door and heard the running water, so she knew her presence would be surprising. Bucky's room was about the size of hers, his large bed was set closer to the window and was unmade, blue blankets kicked around the California king. The dresser was neat though, some framed photos of him and Steve, young and reckless in the face. A couple candles, some coins thrown into a small mason jar. Wanda had tightened her robe around her to cover her nightgown as she sat on the edge of his bed and waited for him.

"Hey." Bucky ruffled his hair again, suddenly feeling a bit invaded and shy.

"I wanted to apologize." Wanda got right to it, "I should not have just short with you. I'm...confused by so much right now. Little things seem to be affecting me in ways they shouldn't. You didn't deserve my coldness."

Bucky starred at her softly, her long pale legs sticking out from under her as she was sitting with them folded, her hair was tied up and slightly damp. He cleared his throat, "You weren't cold." The look she gave him made a grin don his face, "Fine, you were a little cold. But I probably deserved it."

"You didn't. You did nothing wrong. I'm just in my head a lot recently."

"As opposed to others heads." He teased, she smiled.

"I'm sorry." She rubbed her wrist slowly, her eyes glancing down to the floor.

"It's ok." He nodded, tugging his hair behind his ear, it had gotten longer, unruly almost.

"Do you want some help with that." Her accent rolled off her tongue, her eyes were glued to his.

"Uh...sure." He twisted a piece of his hair, for a second feeling protective of it, them shook it off. It was time to let go of a lot.

Wanda stood up, her silk robe danced over her thighs slightly. Bucky watched intensely we she walked toward his desk, grabbed the chair, and wheeled it toward the center of his room. "Sit." She then grabbed a pair of scissors from the draw, a comb that set atop his dresser, and began to comb his hair back. Bucky sighed audibly, it felt good to be pampered in a way, part of him was even relaxed by her hands as they grazed his neck.

Snip Snip Snip

They were content in silence as she combed and cut, then her voice punctured his ears. "How much?"

"All of it." He said without hesitation, and the scissors sliced once more.