Chapter Twelve: Different

It was the crack of dawn the woke Bucky from his comfortable slumber, he took in the scent around him. Incense, spice, and vanilla filled his nostrils as he took in a long breath. Things felt calm and quiet, he turned his head to see beside him Wanda was sleeping soundly. The focused forehead crease she typically rocked was smoothed out as she always had a look of thought on her face. Admiring how calm and gentle she looked made him grin, it was unexpected that he would end up here and he hoped she didn't wake up and kick him out. Maybe she wasn't completely coherent last night, perhaps it would be a shock that he was in her bed. It was now that Bucky considered getting up and leaving would probably be the best thing. 

As he pushed the covers away and leaned up he felt a warm hand touch his upper arm. Shifting his head he caught sight of her eyes as they starred at his chest emotionless. Wanda pressed her lips together, feeling the heat of his arm pulse through her skin. There was nothing coming out of her mouth, she just left her hand resting there. Bucky was motionless at first, but after a moment he leaned back into the bed. "Come here."

The softness in his voice soothed her, though her mind was still battling with her she kept repeating Clint's words through her brain. She had to give herself the chance to feel something other than sadness. So when he spoke she listened, she moved toward him to let his muscular arm reach around her and pull her in. Wanda's cuddled up beside him, letting herself let go for once.

"Tell me about it." It wasn't a whisper, but as he spoke his voice was low and tame. Bucky was wearing some lounge pants and a grey tank, so as she huddled against him he felt her cheek rest on his chest. Being mindful he rested his hand on the blanket that wrapped around her. "The nightmare."

"I can't." She rolled out, her accent thick in the morning air. Wanda breathed in, knowing that talking about it would bring all the emotions back.

Bucky's chest rose and fell rhythmically as he sucked in air, "I'm always listening." He wanted to let her know this, because when he cared for someone, he needed them to know that he would always be there.

"Thank you." She sighed cooling and closed her eyes, letting herself melt into him, which was hard. Bucky could feel her still holding back, mentally and physically. But so was he, this was new and...he wasn't sure really what this really was. There was one thing he was sure of though, he didn't want to leave this bed.

They both had fallen back to sleep, so when Wanda woke back up her eyes fluttered open to asset the situation. Bucky had rolled over in his sleep and was now facing her, within both their movements his hand was now resting on her hip under the blankets. The nightgown she had on was riding up, but he wasn't on skin. Though this brought nerves flushing to her face, she tried to breath in calmly. Wanda did have to admit to herself though, something about this felt so right. Bucky had always been a real friend to her, they had so much in common that they understood the parts of one another that many of their team couldn't. As she raced with her thoughts she studied his features, this made her feel a flutter that she hadn't felt in ages. Reaching out with her hand she softly placed it on his face, his skin was soft until she reached the stubble on his cheek. It was rough on her hand, she felt the hairs tickle her skin.

This is what woke him, he opened his eyes groggily and felt the warmth of her hand. Wanda wasn't looking at him though, she was studying his face, her eyes grazed over his gently as though she didn't even care that he woke up. "What are you doing?" He spoke quietly, watching her eyes dance.

"Learning your features." She spoke almost robotically, the words naturally flowing.

"You didn't know what I looked like before?" He almost chuckled, but relaxed as her hand landed on his jawline and stayed here

"Not this close." Her breath was airy for moment, she let the emotions she had been pushing away take charge. It was difficult, but she couldn't deny them any longer. Not with him this close to her.

Bucky ran his hand from her hip toward her lower back to pull her closer and she let him. As he held her his eyes focused on the alarm clock beside her bed, "Holy shit."

"What?" Wanda looked up at him concerned, wide eyed. She didn't soften until she saw the slight curl at the corner of his lip.

"It's almost noon." He hadn't slept this late in years. "We've slept the whole morning away."

Wanda closed her eyes again and sighed warmly, "We're on vacation. Captain's orders"

As she spoke he felt better, although part of him naturally wanted to get up and take a jog, but maybe this time he could skip a workout. "Still, we should get up."

"And do what?" She mumbled against his chest.

Do what? That was a good question. For the first time since he was in hiding as The Winter Soldier he had a whole week with no plans. Then it hit him, "First, breakfast." Bucky leaned up in bed and felt her slide away from him, he looked back at her and grinned. "How do you like your eggs?"

"You're going to cook? Why?" A slight chuckle to her voice Wanda pulled the blankets closer to her chin, her eyes glued to his. The soldier was giving her the same look he did when they were at the lake, only this time she wasn't running from it.

"Because," He turned and lean toward her, surprised she leaned back into the bed a bit, his face inches from her, "I like breakfast foods."

It was different, very very different, but different could be good. "Ok." Her eyes read him as he leaned away from her and stood up. Wanda admired his physique, even though she had looked upon him before, for some reason it was a different view this time. Without another word he was out of her room and out of her sight. Wanda breathed, not a sigh of relief, but a sigh of release. Clint was right, she was allowed to feel good.