-Chapter 2- Snufkin

"I'm going to miss you Snufkin. I hate winter time, it's so cold and you're not here." Moomin whined.

"You won't even notice I'm gone Moomin, besides you'll be hibernating the whole winter," I said ,continuing to pack my things into my bag.

"I guess you're right."

"Of course."

"Hey! You say that like you're right all the time, Snufkin!"

"Well, majority of the time I am." I said with a smirk.

"Oh whatever." Moomin said chuckling.

I stood up slinging my bag over my shoulder. I saw Moomins face start to falter. I smiled knowingly.

"I'll see you next spring Moomin. I promise, I'll tell you all about my adventure when I come back. It won't be long."

"Goodbye Snufkin." Moomin said

"Goodbye Moomin, sleep tight."

I pulled out my harmonica and started to play his favorite song out of the valley, ready to start my journey over again.

• • •

"Gosh, I forgot how much I hate snow. It's so cold, wet, and makes it harder to walk. I'll be lucky if my socks are still dry by the time I get to Épiluire." I thought to myself.

I fought against the harsh winds holding onto my hat so it didn't fly away. A gust of snow flew into my face causing me to panic and fall backward.

"Merciful Athena, my tunic is wet now. Lovely."

I sighed.

"The farther away from the snow I am, the farther I am from losing my sanity."

I checked my pockets to make sure my harmonica was still there and didn't fly out. A wave of relief came over me as I touched the cool metal of the instrument. I stood my ground a little longer before seeing smoke which looked to be from a chimney. I ran as fast as I could in the snow knowing I was close to the town. The trees started to clear and the snow slowly started to turn into green grass under my boots. I could finally see the town. It wasn't huge which I certainly didn't mind, though it wasn't small either. The smoke I saw earlier was from a tavern where I could see the bartender washing the windows. He saw me walking towards him and waved. I returned the gesture.

"Snufkin! Happy spring! Good to see you again."

"You too bartender, a happy spring it is indeed." I said smiling.

"Go have a seat, it must have been quite a walk. Your back is wet. Did you fall in the snow?"

I laughed.

"You read people very well, don't you bartender."

"I don't know much, I've just met many people."

"Of course."

I started to walk towards a seat in the back by a window. As soon as the conversation with the bartender ended I felt completely alone, not in the way I tend to like. I pulled out my harmonica from my pocket and started to fidget with it.

"Hello sir? Would you like to order anything?" a waitress asked me.

I looked up and nodded.

"Do you have any coffee? I'm traveling and I'm going to need all the energy I can get."

I chuckled nervously.

"Of course sir, three shims."

I grabbed my coin purse and pulled out four shims.