-Chapter 9- Jax

"Mom! I have to leave soon!" I shouted throwing on my plaid scarf.

My mother slowly came out of her room looking a bit drowsy which caused me to laugh lightly. She went to the kitchen but this time grabbing fresh green tea leaves instead of oolong. She tied the cloth bag off with a twine bow and kissed me on the cheek.

"Have a nice trip sweetheart. Be safe okay?"

"Thank you, I will don't worry. I love you!"

"I love you too!"

I opened the door and she waved me goodbye as I headed to Moominvalley. I walked down the dirt road, past the tavern. The bartender was not outside to send me off with a witty goodbye which saddened me a bit, but I continued on my way. As I walked, I thought about that creature, Stinky.

"I hope I don't cross roads with him again. I don't have anything I can throw at him this time. Maybe if I'm quite enough he won't notice me pass through."

I had left a tad bit earlier in the morning so i should be fine.

"If I keep this pep in my step I should be there by two in the afternoon, maybe earlier."                                           

• • •

My boots kicked White snow dusts the valley. Everyone is getting ready for hibernation once again. Though this year will be quite different because the tale of Santa Claus danced in their minds. They decorated with red and green lights, and a pine tree in the living room. The spring and summer music slowly fading where the winter and fall music had only just begun their symphony. No longer dull and plain, winter has arrived in Moominvalley.
some dry dust from the road. The green grass slowly fading in color. I started to hear crunching of leaves as I continued along the path. I kept looking up at the trees to make sure I didn't run into Stinky. Though all I saw were the warm colored autumn leaves. I felt relief wash over me as I left the forest. I was taken aback when I looked at the valley.

"It looks so, different."

There were leaves of all different shapes and sizes scattered around the muted colored grass. The river bank wasn't frozen like it had been during wintertime. I could hear the trickling of the stream onto rocks. The last thing was what I assumed to be Snufkin and his tent set up by the river. He did not look to be awake though. His green hat covered his face, he had his arms behind his head and his legs were crossed one over the other. Even if I couldn't see his face I knew he was at peace. I slowly walked towards him lifting his hat slightly off his face. His eyes were closed as I had suspected but he turned on his side and shielded his face with his hands.

"Not now Moomin, I'm sure Jax will be here any minute. Give it a rest." He mumbled.

I chuckled lightly.

"You're right Snufkin, I'm sure she'll be here very soon. Perhaps, a little too soon?" I replied.

His eyes opened immediately when he heard my voice. I smiled down at him and he smiled back. He then sat up and pat the patch of grass beside him indicating for me to sit down. I sat my bags carefully on the grass.

"So, how was your trip?" He started.

"Oh, fine. I didn't run into Stinky this time."

His eyes lit up.

"That reminds me, one second."

He went into his tent and came back with a tin mug.

"Look familiar?" He asked grinning.

He handed it to me, I looked at it noticing scratches and dents.

"How did you get this back?" I asked bewildered.

"It's a long story. Let's just say Stinky threw it at me this time."

"He hit you with it?!"

He put his hands up waving and laughing.

"No, no, no, no. I caught it but it was not easy getting it back."

"Snufkin, you didn't have to do this." I said smiling.

"Well, what would you drink your tea out of then?" He grinned.

"Thank you, this was very nice of you!"

"It's no problem, really."

We sat in comfortable silence for a while listening to the river stream. Snufkin spoke up breaking the silence between us.

"How about you go unpack and come back here, I want to show you something before we head to Moomin house." He said grabbing a few leaves.

"Good idea, I wouldn't want to be carrying all my stuff around. I'll be right back."

I got up and headed towards my resting spot on the beach. While I walked I wondered about what he wanted to show me. I didn't ponder over it for too long though. I lit my lantern and climbed down the wall of the crevasse.

"Same as always."

I started to unpack which didn't take me too long. I left my fiddle this time because I didn't think I would need it all that much. I started to walk back towards the river, seeing him still there. He waved as I approached closer I smiled and returned the gesture. I sat down beside him and he showed me a tiny boat made of leaves.

"Oh, how adorable!"

"Thanks, I make a lot of these in my spare time it's so fun to imagine a crew for a boat and them going off on their own adventures."

He set the boat gently on the water making sure it didn't tip over. When he let go of it, it started to flow slowly down the stream.

"There it goes, off to see the world."

"Just like you Snufkin."

He turned to me and smiled softly.

"I suppose, someday I want to travel far but I'm afraid of not coming back to Moominvalley."

I could sympathize with what he felt.

"I understand what you feel, I fear of not being able to return home if I go too far. You're not supposed to set boundaries for yourself when you travel but I feel like I do because I'm afraid of losing what I have."

He stood up and looked up at the sky.

"Well you know what, sometimes it's good to just stick with what you have than to risk it for your desire." He looked down at me and smirked, putting his hand out for me to take.

"How about we head to Moomin house. I'm sure everyone's waiting to see you."

"I think that's a wonderful idea." I said smiling.

Heyyo!

I hope you enjoyed this part! Comment your thoughts and possible ways I could make the story better for you guys. I'm really excited for this part of the story, and I hope you are too! :)

Later~