-Chapter 22- Snufkin

It's the first day of autumn in Moominvalley. I exited my tent deciding I was going to await Jax's arrival. I sat down by the river collecting some dead leaves and started to put together another leaf boat.

"I can't wait to see her again. She makes everything better in the fall."

I looked up at the sky, watching the sun for time.

"It's about three pm now, she should be here soon."

"Snufkin!" Moomin shouted.

"Why good afternoon Moomin. What brings you here?"

"I wanted to know if Jax got here yet."

"Not yet, though it's about three right now so she should be here shortly."

"I'm so excited! We get to go on so many more adventures with her! It makes me so happy that we have a new friend in Moominvalley!"

"Likewise, I'll be happy knowing she's safe."

"Safe? Whatever do you mean Snufkin?"

I remembered that I had not notified Moomin about my fever dream so I made something up on the fly.

"Well, traveling is time consuming and you never know what you might run into. More or less who, you run into."

"I suppose you're right. I bet her first encounter with Stinky was unpleasant. Imagine."

"Oh, I can see that clearly. I bet he's learned his lesson by now though. We nomads are a reserved type of people, we like our alone time and tend to not like running into strangers. Hence Jax throwing her mug at Stinky."

"Well, I suppose I'll come back later. Make sure to bring her to Moominhouse when she gets here!"

"I will! So long Moomin!"

"Bye Snufkin!"

I waved goodbye as he headed back home. Apparently they had set up a cozy bed for her when she arrives. I bet she'll appreciate it. I've noticed her tendency to get flustered quite easily. Especially when someone does something for her. I smiled contently.

"She'll be here soon. I know it."

I decided to take a quick nap before her arrival. I quickly winked out of consciousness.

• • •

"Snufkin!" Moomins voice echoed.

He shook me awake, in which I groggily sat up.

"What is it Moomin? Did Jax arrive?" I asked wiping sleep from my eyes.

"Quite the opposite actually." He stood eyes aimed at the ground.

"That's odd."

I looked up to see the sun was not there but it was starting to set.

"Perhaps she's running a little behind. I'm sure she'll be here tomorrow. No need to worry." I said looking at him with a soft smile.

Moomin sat down beside me and sighed, gloom shrouding his face.

"Do you think she's okay Snufkin?"

I put a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sure she's just fine Moomin. She's a witty young lady, and a hardy one at that."

He put his head in his hands.

"I suppose you're right."

Though through my calm and relaxed nature, I was quite frightened and surprised by her delay.

"I really do hope she's alright."

"I miss you."