•Chapter 10•

As Lafayette lightly snores, his peaceful slumber soon becomes tainted with strange voices.

Where is he?

The room is dark, with a wooden table that sits in the middle.

"Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette for the charge of first degree murder of Muhammad Thompson." a booming voice echos.

Suddenly, Lafayette is forcefully pulled to the table, his hands bound together by cuffs.

"Non. Non. I-" he looks up with wide eyes, realising where he is.

A spotlight illuminates the judge, sitting in front of the man with a cold expression.

"I didnt. Id never-" he starts, before his cries become silent. He pleads with the judge, but sound refuses to come out of his mouth.

To his right, a jury appears, their expressions equally cold. A few of them scoff at the man who silently  cries, praying they'll listen to him.

"Gang related." Someone assumes, the frenchman silently screaming  in response. He bangs his fists on the table, hot tears clouding his vision.

"He said it was a cop, but when searched, the police camera had no film for that date and time." A mans voice adds, the sound echoing all around Lafayette.

"I mean, just look at him."

"Maybe he and his boyfriend got in a fight." A woman suggests, struggling over the word boyfriend.

"An act of passion?" Someone affirms. The man is now sobbing, pleading for them to stop.

They pay no attention, whispering to each other.

Lafayette cries, unable to hear their words over the deafening sound of the gun firing again and again.

Suddenly the voices come back.
"The jury finds Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette guilty of first degree murder, and sentences him to 25 to life in a federal or private prison within the stare limits."

Lafayette screams as the judge continues, the frenchman's voice becoming hoarse despite the mere silence that erupts from his lungs.

Tears spill down his cheeks, blurring his vision further and making it hard to breathe.

He soon runs out of air, gasping while the jury sits still, watching with curious eyes.

He can hear his heartbeat growing dimmer. And his lungs folding in on themselves, hopelessly searching for air.

Lafayette wakes up suddenly, gasping. He's panting, goosebumps covering every inch of his skin. The man is shivering in a cold sweat, unable to get warm under the tiny scratchy blanket.

Patting his face, he realises there are also tears wetting his cheeks, and quickly wipes them away.

The man leans back down, unable to fall asleep or even close his eyes. He silently cries, a few tears blurring his vision.

Very slowly, his broken mind falls back to sleep.

*****

In the laundry room today, Lafayette finds his aquaintance silent and cold.

He tries not to let it consume him, but the way the man looks at him now makes him want to cry.

What did he do? Is it because he wanted so badly to be with the man, to talk for hours? Did he scare him away?