•Chapter 18•

Today Lafayette is being let out of the infimary, hopefully for the last time. However, the waiting is killing the man, and he finds himself staring up at the ceiling, horribly bored.

In the four hours hes spent awake, hes noticed the following: the nurses uniforms are all the same color, but some are in a slightly lighter shade of powder blue than others; the clock to his left is slow by 30 minutes...or maybe the clock in front of him is 30 minutes fast; the men who come in look horrible, but the men who leave seem to scare the frenchman more. Each wear a sickening smile, and when they are free of their cuffs they always emit a  snicker, and rub their sore wrists.

Lafayette just hopes he doesnt look like them. Cruel, and harsh, and threatening. Hes not like them, hes different. Seperate.

But then he has another thought. He isn't special, or different. He wears the same clothes, eats the same food, did the same crime. Thats right. He isnt innocent, or an outsider. Hes a criminal, just like everyone else.

The man chews on his lip as he fiddles with this new thought. He truely can't remember the events of that fateful night. That night has been twisted by others, and his emotions, and he really cant trust his own mind at this point.

But he hears someone walking closer, so his thoughts are paused for the moment. As soon as the person turns the corner and can be seen by Lafayette, a smile is instantly dancing on the man's lips.

"Bonjour Moussier Hercules." He says, grinning.

"Afternoon, Lafayette." Hercules responds, smiling back just as much.

"How do you feel?" The irishman asks.

"Much better. Though I dont really remember what happened yesterday." Lafayette admits, hoping the man can help.

"Well. It wasnt yesterday, it was two days ago. You uh lost a lot of blood, took awhile for you to wake up." Hercules explains.

"Oh." Lafayette mumbles.

"And. Basically, Renyolds and Lee attacked you, and your stitches broke. You were rushed here." Hercules says, noticing how the mans face has changed from happiness to something much different. It isnt negative. Just not happy.

"I heard you were quite the help to me." Lafayette says, smiling up at the man and making Hercule's heart melt. The frenchman looks adorable. Shinning eyes and a smile that plays on his lips. Much better than what Hercules remembers him being before.

"I uh. Just did what anyone would." He says, making an attempt at being humble.

"What? No. Beating off two gang leaders? Rushing me to infirm? Staying with me? And visiting today?" Lafayette says, truely only remembering the last one.

Hercules chuckles, hoping the tint to his cheeks isn't too obvious. He must admit, the way the man looks at him, talks about him. Well, it makes him feel larger than life. And he hopes one day he can be someone to truely make the man proud.

"Really, Hercules. Thank you, for everything." Lafayette says, smiling.

"For you? Of course." Hercules replies, instantly regretting it.

"I uh- no, what I meant was.." He says, scrambling for some excuse. But its too late, the frenchman is already grinning ear to ear.

"Wow. Emotionless guard turn flirt, and a good flirt at that." Lafayette jokes, raising a brow.

"Emotionless?" Hercules says, gasping.

"Well maybe not emotionless... reserved?" Lafayette adds, hoping he didnt offend the man.