Chapter 31•lets go home

"Thomas Jefferson. Youre needed in the wardens office." A gaurd said, the frenchman and the virginian exchanging a glance in their cell.

"Did I do something?" Thomas asked as he got up, looking back at Lafayette.

"I dont fucking know." The gaurd said.

"Dont do anything stupid" Lafayette said, only half joking

"I would never." Thomas said sarcastically as he left, the cocky smile on his face making the Frenchman feel a little less concerned.

☆☆☆☆☆

"Youre being released. Tomorrow." He said nonchillantly, making the man double take.

"What?" He asked, eyes wide as he sat forward, not letting himself believe it.

"Youve been put on probation, Jefferson. Early release." He said, opening a filing cabinet and letting Thomas' neat file fall inside.

"What? But- I still have a month and a half left." He said, confused. This had to be a sick joke. They found out about the bribing. They were gonna punish him or something.

"You want me to pick someone else?" The warden threatened jokingly.

"No- no sir! Uh," he said, snapping out of his disbelief, "thank you sir." He grabbed the mans hand, shaking it gratefully.

☆☆☆☆☆

"You better fucking call." Lafayette said, hugging the man tightly, his face smushed up against his shirt.

"Course, Laff." Thomas said, smiling as he wrapped an arm around the man.

"I mean it. Dont fucking forget, dickhead." Lafayette muttered, half joking half pleading. He was one of the only people left.

"Promise. How could I forget you, frenchie? That shit just aint possible." Thomas said, ruffling the mans hair as he grabbed his mesh bag.

Hercules walked in, stopping a few steps into the small room.

"Sorry, didnt know-" He started.

"You better take care of him." Thomas said, somewhat threateningly.

"Okay?" Hercules said, looking at Lafayette with a confused expression.

"Im getting out. Which means you gotta do twice the job. You take care of my bunkmate til I get my ass back in this joint." Thomas said, Lafayette hitting him upside the head.

"Better keep your ass out of this shithole. Dont wanna see you back here ever again, got it? You just run as far as you can." Lafayette said, Thomas nodding.

"Roger that." He said softly, smiling at the prospect.

☆☆☆☆☆

There was a loud buzz, and thunks of automatic locks undoing themselves, steel knocking against steel.

The door finally opened, and Thomas took a step outside, lifting a hand to shield his eyes from the bright sunlight.

It was strange. The yard was only a few feet away, but from where he was standing he felt millions of miles from where he stood yesterday.

And as his eyes adjusted to the light, he caught sight of James, and suddenly it felt as if nothing else mattered, everything stilling around him.

James was gorgeous, standing there bathed in the golden light, a mirage in the desert Thomas had been trapped in. He was turned away, and hadnt caught sight of Thomas yet.

Thomas felt his feet take a step forward, the cheap sneakers catching on the asphalt a little bit. The falls started to come faster and faster, soon he couldnt seem to run fast enough as he closed the space between him and the love of his life.

James finally turned to see Thomas, a huge smile instantly spreading across his face.

"Thomas!" He cried, beaming. The man practically tackled James in a hug, panting and laughing and even crying all at the same time as he collided with the man so hard they almost fell over. Niether gave a second of thought to it, they didnt have any part of their mind thst wasnt dedicated to other in that golden moment.

Thomas' hands wrapped tight around the man, craving as much contact as he could get despite the fact that there wasnt an inch of air between them.

"God I fucking missed you." He said, burying his face in the his shoulder. James' hands held onto the mans shirt as if leaving it would mean death, the material bunching up from how tightly he grasped it. He didnt need to say it back. They both knew.

In fact, he couldnt say it back if he wanted. His throat was too full of tears, which he cried out onto Thomas' cheap grey sweatshirt, making dark spots in the thin material.

There was no need for words. There had been words all through those months. They just needed what they couldnt have back then. Love. They needed to cry, and feel each others hesrtbeat against their own, and hold their lover without having to pay off a gaurd.

And now they could have it all they wanted. The rest of their sunbacked days, just like this one. Full of love and life and pure, truely raw joy.

"I love you...you idiot." James let out breathlessly, chuckling and sobbing at the same time.

Thomas laughed into the mans shoulder, squeezing him tighter.
"I love you too, dummy. Lets go home." He whispered, kissing the mans neck tenderly, never wanting to let go.

☆☆☆☆☆

A/n: this books all about laff and herc but i really loved these two through the whole thing. Tell me if yall want an epilouge or mini series with these two lovebirds.