|18| Surprise

Darius

"Oh, my baby is back!" my mother rushes me into a crushing hug as soon as I step off of the bus.

I catch her small frame, keeping her steady as she jumps to kiss me on the cheek. She's so annoyingly cute but I'd rather this than her smacking me in the head.

"I think I'm too old for this now," I complain.

"Never," she waves her hand. "I will smother you in my love for as long as I live."

"Cool, but can you give your husband some of this attention. Preferably all of it."

She smacks her lips and rolls her eyes. "The grumpy man will get his attention later."

"Brother!" Mandy sings. "I've missed you about as much as mom," she gives me a quick hug.

"I've missed you guys too. It's been a long two weeks, nearly three."

"I can't imagine going on a trip with Dad," she comments. "He's so boring. How was it?"

"Torturing," I answer. "Especially with what happened before we left."

"Yeah..." she gives me an uneasy smile.

"You didn't tell Mom did you?"

"Of course not."

"Good to know you still have my back sometimes," I tease.

We load our bags into the trunk of the car and prepared to leave the transit station.

"Um, where do you think you're going?"

I turn around to face my mate, standing with her hands planted on her hips and a wide smirk on her lips. Seeing her made me feel just as I did the day I laid eyes on her.

"Hey, sexy," she wiggles her eyebrows, strutting towards me and leaving an inch of space between us.

I couldn't find words to speak. Intimidated by her her personality am I? I think so.

I glance over to Niro, who's staring at us with a sad expression. She gave me a small smile before turning away.

"I'm right here," Naya hooks her finger under my chin, pulling my face back toward hers.

"Aren't you going to speak to me?" she asks.

"I don't really know what to say." I'm trying my absolute hardest not to blush. What an affect she has on me...

"Shy," she comments while examining me. "We'll work on that. Give me your phone," she demands.

I hand her my phone and she proceeds to save her number in it, labeling herself as Mate.

"I want you to text or call me later. If it starts to get too late and I haven't heard from you, expect me at your door."

"But you don't know where—"

"Yes, I do," she grins and walks away.

How she knows where I live, I have no idea. Regardless, she's welcome any time. Although something tells me even if she wasn't welcome she'd make herself be.

I get into the car, shaking the emotions off for the time being. My wolf wanted to disregard the mess and run after her but I held him back. I don't think I'm ready for her yet, not until I face Niro and I's situation.