don't go ➼ malum

future au!

the world was truly and utterly broken. the system was crashing so much faster than anyone had expected. sirens wailed across the town alerting the people that they are in danger. they've always been in danger, but just never knew it yet until those sirens went off.

the day was starting off beautiful. the sky was blue as ever, birds flew across the sky singing songs. it's was a peaceful, sunny day. but it was ruined as the sky turned orange, clouding over with dark grey. the sight was horrible as the ground suddenly erupted into flames. the clear barrier that was supposed to protect them was slowly melting away from the hot flames.

parents clutched onto their children, praying to whoever that they would all make it out alive. loud cried erupted not only from the sirens, but from the people. they were so terrified of what was going to happen to them. not everyone was going to make it alive, hell, maybe no one is going to make it out alive. maybe the world is just going to burn until everyone is gone.

soldiers were frantically helping the elderly, throwing them over their shoulders and running off to the base camp that everyone was headed to.

smoke began to spread everywhere, causing the air to no longer be clear.

michael coughed into his arm and covered his nose. there was absolutely no way he could inhale the smokey air. no one could, it was dangerous. but for michael, the reaction would come quicker. he could already feel his lungs tightening, and his strength becoming weaker.

but he had to make it to the base camp. he had to.

he watched as a pregnant woman tripped, and everyone around her didn't bother to stop and help her up. they continued running by, and michael was not having it.

he ran over to the woman and helped her stand up. she winced and almost fell back down, but michael stood her up again.

"i think i sprained my ankle." she winced, coughing into her arm.

michael motioned for her to hope on his back, and she did with a slight struggle. once she was situated, he took off again. the extra weight slowed him down, but he was not going to stop until he was at that base camp.

by this point, his lungs felt like they were on fire. his legs were burning as he took each step. the burning, sore pain traveled up to his thighs and he almost doubted himself. but he can't doubt himself. that will only make him go slower and now was not the time to slow down since he was almost there.

his strength and his lungs couldn't take it anymore. he stumbled in his step, and fell to the ground. his sharp breaths sounded like wheezes, and the pregnant woman worriedly looked down at him.

"g-go." michael coughed out.

the pregnant woman shook her head. "n-no, we need to get you to the camp. you need medical help."

michael attempted to take a sharp breath of air but failed. his head was becoming foggy and he knew that there wasn't anytime. "yo-you d-do t-too... n-now go." he slurred, pointing at the base camp.

the pregnant woman looked down at michael worriedly and let out a cry. she kissed his cheek. "t-thank you.. you're a wonderful human."

michael couldn't respond. he could only manage a tiny smile and watch as the pregnant woman limped towards the base camp. eventually, someone came to her aid and helped her.

he watched as people ran by, sparing him a glance as they rushed by. they probably thought he was dead, or almost dead. michael felt dead, his chest felt like it was on fire, and his breaths were slowing down.