runaways ➼ mashton

"have you ever thought about running away?"

michael wasn't expecting that question. his heart skipped a beat and he turned his head over to ashton. "what?"

"running away. have you ever thought about it?" ashton asked again, staring up into the night sky.

the roof of the orphanage building wasn't the safest place to be on, but that was the only place where no one could find them. the view was nice too, you could see all of the buildings, the lights, and the sky during sunrises, sunsets, or during the night. most stars weren't visible because of all of the brights lights from the buildings, but it was still beautiful.

ashton has been in the orphanage since he was a baby. his parents couldn't afford to keep him, so they sent him to a orphanage. he wasn't mad at them, he couldn't be. they did what they thought was best. sure there were times if he wondered if they just didn't want him, but his thoughts were always wrong. the orphanage owner always told ashton that his parents loved him very much, and wanted nothing more but for him to have a better life. he hopes that one day he'll see them again. he'd like to thank them, and continue on as a family.

michael was put in the orphanage when he was six. ashton was seven at the time, and immediately they clicked. michael never spoke about his parents, he hated talking about them and wanted nothing to do with them. all he's ever said about his parents is that they were terrible, selfish people. the orphanage owner of course knew about michael's parents, but she never tried getting him to talk about them.

michael was a little shy at first, but ashton helped him out through his comfort zone, and now they were the loudest teenagers in the orphanage. michael had his moments where he would get shy, but ashton would always be there to get him back into his comfort zone.

"maybe, why?" michael asked quietly.

running away has been something michael wanted to do since he was four. all the kids in his school at the time had such great parents. they all loved their kids and spent as much time as they could with them. when michael realized what his parents were doing wasn't right, he wanted nothing more but to find a new family. he was four, and he thought that he could just knock on someone's door and ask to join their family.

he learned that he had to be adopted into a new family when his parents dropped him off here when he was six years old.

"we could have a better life. all we do here is hope that someday someone will take us in, but look at us, we're almost adults and we're waiting for nothing." ashton scoffed.

michael frowned. not everyone has a positive mindset, and that's what he hates. of course there are some things that are okay to have a negative mindset about, but having low hope is something that bothers him. good things come into life eventually, it may not be now, but someday your life will be the best it has ever been.

"maybe it's a sign. i know not belonging to a family sucks, but maybe we don't need a family. maybe we just need friends and the ones we love to surround ourselves with." michael said.

"and whose that, michael? all i have is you and that's it." ashton spat.

michael felt offended, but he knew that ashton has always had a negative mindset. he's been stuck in here since he was a baby, and not once has a family came in to adopt him, or bring him in to a foster home.

"and is that a bad thing? if it is, i could just leave." michael said bitterly, sitting up from his spot.

ashton sighed. "no... i'm sorry. i'm just not thinking anymore."

"you think?" michael muttered.

ashton chuckled lightly. "you're so sassy."

"you're just now noticing?" michael playfully scoffed.

"oh shut up." ashton laughed, slapping michael's arm lightly.

michael laid back down and scooted closer to ashton. they were laying on a thick blanket, but it was still a bit uncomfortable since the top of the roof is concrete. ashton wrap his arm around michael's torso and squeezed softly.

"if i ran away, would you run away too?" ashton asked quietly.

"why would you run away?"

michael loves the orphanage. he hates that he isn't with a family, but there's kids of all ages in the building. he loves the little kids, especially. he's been told that he would be a great father one day.

"i don't wanna be here anymore michael. i want to start working, buy a place of my own, and maybe find my parents." ashton sighed.

michael nodded. "i understand, but in a few months, you'll be out of here. you can do all of that stuff then."

ashton shook his head. "you don't understand. i can't wait a few more months."

"oh yes you can, i know that you hate it here but you can't run away. we need you here." michael frowned.

he didn't want ashton to run away. he wouldn't have anyone. sure he could run away with ashton, but he does not want mrs. lindsey to get in trouble with the police.

"i can if i want to. you can't stop me, no one can." ashton said, and sat up.

"why can't you just wait?! you're lucky that you have a few months left here while i'm here for another whole year! i fucking need you here ashton while you have the time!" michael shouted as he sat up from his spot.

"because then i can have you with me! if you run away with me, i won't lose you! for all i fucking know you could get adopted and i would never see you again. i love you so goddamn much and i am not going to have the chance of never seeing you again!" ashton shouted back.

michael was silent for a moment. "y-you love me?"

"yeah, i do." ashton sighed.

"how long?" michael asked quietly.

ashton could lie, but that would not be a good idea. love is not something you mess with. it's one of the most powerful emotions and can either break someone or make them feel so alive.

"for three years." ashton whispered.

michael nodded. "since we're confessing feelings now, i guess i can tell you the same."

ashton smiled. "really?"

"no, i've been in love with greg sulfer. yes i feel the same way!" michael said and rolled his eyes.

"you sarcastic, sassy little shit." ashton laughed.

michael smiled. "thank you, best compliment i've ever been given."

ashton rolled his eyes playfully and wrapped his arm around michael's shoulders. michael laid his head on top of ashton's shoulder, and the two boys fell silent.

they didn't run away that night. as much as ashton wanted to, he wanted to stay there until the day he could leave. michael promised him that he wouldn't accept anyone's adoption plan. the thought of joining a family, and then one day be in a completely different state scared michael. he couldn't live without ashton.

after a year of rejecting a few adoption offers, michael had finally turned eighteen. ashton was there waiting at the doorstep to take him home. to their home.

_____

words: 1,244

yes i threw in that slsp lyric. fight me.