Chapter 2

Laughter erupts from our table as Alex keeps trying to talk himself up. I find myself shaking my head at his cockiness and out of the corner of my eye I catch glimpses of Amber. My eyes fully drift across the table as her laugh fills my ears and I stare at her beautiful smile. I feel myself start to daydream when Mel's body falls back against me still having a laughing fit.

     I keep her from falling as her cinnamon hair spills against me as I barely hear her mumble a thank you. I feel her hand reach back and poke me as she shakes back and forth like she wants to use me as a pillow. "Amber. Jay has become a even better pillow! You have to try it." She lets out a giggle right before I sneak my hands to her ribs and begin tickling her.

     Mel squirms against my hands trying to escape when I finally release her from the torture. A sly grin spreads across my face as she watches me in horror. "What's wrong Mel? Is the pillow not comfy anymore?" I watch her move her arms to cover her sides and place distance between the two of us.

     "Come on Jay. There is no reason to be mean to Melanie." Amber's soft voice grasps my full attention and I turn towards her.

     "What? You think I should spare her?" I lift my weight slowly from my seat careful not to reveal my intentions. I flash a look at Alex and he gives me a nod because he knows exactly what to do. "I will spare Mel. But, you will take her punishment." Alex's hands shoot out and hold Amber in place as I leap towards her attacking her sides.

     "Alexander Reeves! Jayden Hart!" Amber squealed trying to pry herself away from the two of us. "Let go of me or I swear neither one of you will ever be able to have kids when I get done with you." I high five Alex as I return to my safe seat across from Amber trying to put on my innocent face.

     I feel Melanie's hand bounce off my shoulder as she tries to hit me. "I am still mad at you. I can't believe you aren't doing cross country with me this year." I see the hurt in her eyes because running was our thing growing up. I slide my arm around her shoulders and pull her into a small hugs while my hand rubs up and down her arm.

     "Coach wants me to focus on the track events in the Spring." I feel her sigh against me so I let her have the good news. "But, I do have permission to practice with you guys any time I want." I watch as her face splits into a wide grin and she hugs me tight.

     "This is gonna be a great year. I am playing football while Amber has cheering. Mel has cross country and you both have track later. We shall take this school by storm." Alex has his classic stupid grin on his face as his eyes look around the room. "Damn. I am going to enjoy being attacked by all the ladies at this school."

     A wet napkin bounces off his face and he glares at Melanie. "Calm down Casanova. None of the ladies know who you are or how much of a tool you can be." Amber tries to mask her giggle with her hand, but fails miserably making Alex's face turn read. Movement catches my eye as I see Amber pulling herself out of her seat.

     "Sorry guys, but I got to go. I still have to unpack and meet my new roommate. It has been great. I will text you all later so we can hang out again." Amber goes around giving goodbye hugs to the three of us. I felt the air in my lungs leave me as I watched her walk out the door.

     "Jay. Are you gonna do something this year? She looks more interested now." Alex's words catch me off guard as I see him staring at me. He is waiting for an answer when I feel my heart start racing. I open my mouth multiple times, but I am unable for form any words.

     "She did look a little jealous when I was using you as a pillow." Melanie was grinning at the idea pushing against me.

     "There was no way she was jealous. You are her best friend and we have all been friends for years." I stared down at her like she had lost her mind. Her head bounces up and down nodding at me and I see Alex doing the same.

     "What's wrong man? Need some help? I can give you all the advice you could ever need. If you do what I say she will be eating out of the palm of your hand in no time." I hear a thud as I see Melanie hitting Alex in the chest as hard as she can.

     "You are insane! If he listens to you she will be running for the hills in less than a week." She crosses her arms and glares at him. He raises his hands in surrender as he climbs out of his seat.

     "Whatever. I will see you back in the room later Jay. All you have to do it ask and I will teach you everything. Later Mel." He fist bumps me and give Melanie a small hug before heading for the door. I can't help but laugh when I see him stop at multiple tables talking to different groups of girls.

     I slide my hand up Melanie's back and start drawing circles with my fingers. She lets out a deep sigh as she seems irritated. Her head leans against my shoulder as she relaxes. I don't understand why she thought Amber was jealous. She was there that day when Melanie moved to our school. We were her first friends after moving to our town.

     Amber practically dragged me to meet the new girl with her. Melanie looked like she belonged in a movie for a kid moving to a new place. She seemed scared and lost when some kid knocked her down on accident making her lose her books and glasses. I helped her gather her books as Amber found her glasses for her. After that day she become an amazing addition to our group and never looked back.

     Mel's finger pokes into my side again as I see her staring at me. "What are you smiling about?"

     "Oh nothing. I was just remembering the day we met. You looked so lost that day." I chuckle at the memory and how it was so long ago.

     "I remember that day. You and Amber were so nice helping me pick up my stuff. It was even sweet when you threatened to beat the guy who knocked me down if he didn't apologize." I feel my face get hot at her statement. I had almost forgot that part. I just shrug my shoulders and start to stand up.

     I check the time on my phone to see it is just after two in the afternoon. "Hey Mel. Do you wanna hit the track and get our own workout in?" I see her baby blue eyes shine with excitement as she jumps up.

     "Hell yes. I haven't felt normal since going on break and I could use a good run." We start to clean up our mess and head towards the door. I watch her twist her hair between her fingers as I hold the door open for her. I wait for whatever words she is trying to come up with. She always plays with her hair when she can't think of what to say.

     "We can meet by the library after we change and then head to the track together." I nod understanding her logic as she turns away from me. I watch her bouncing away before she spins back to me. "Oh and if you want any help with Amber all you have to do is ask." I smile and wave her on so she can go change. Maybe they really could help me with Amber. I wonder if I really have a chance this year.