Chapter 18

Hit.

     My fist slams into the heavy bag as I ready my next strike.

     Hit.

     My headphones hold tight in my ears as the song Remedy by Seether covering up the silence of the gym. The quiet was relaxing and annoying at the same time.

     Hit. Hit.

     It had been three days since I read Zoe's letter. I think it was suppose to give me closure, but it only made me ask more questions. Why did she have to be right all the damn time? She was right I would have been hesitant to date her if I knew she was moving, but if she cared that much why did she not want me to chase her? Was she afraid I would ask her to stay?

     Hit. Hit. Hit.

     The answer was obvious. Yes. She would have stayed to fight for me and it would not have been fair to do that to her. Zoe was an amazing woman that deserved the best. I couldn't give that to her because deep down Amber's hold on me would never cease. Maybe one day I could find her. The least I could do was apologize for being a stupid guy.

     The corners of my mouth twitched up at the thought. I know her exact response. "Of course you are stupid. Girls are suppose to be smarter anyway." I am going to miss her. She knew exactly what made me tick.

     Hit. Hit. Hit. Hit. Hit. 

     My hands falls to my sides as my chest heaves trying to recover the air I used. I lean my back against the cold hard wall and slide down to a seated position. I slowly unwrap my hands before removing my bluetooth headphones from my ears. A frown works its way onto my face seeing the blank black screen on my phone. Still no answer from Amber.

     I snatch up my bag dragging myself to my feet making my way outside to the parking lot. I curse myself for forgetting my jacket in my truck on a freezing November afternoon. I rub my arms furiously trying to warm them up spotting my truck in the distance. I juggle my keys in my left hand looking for the right one when the shadow of a person moves beside my truck.

     "Hey Jayden." Melanie's soft voice carries in the still air. A thud echos as I drop my gym bag when her body collides with mine. I wrap my arms protectively around her rocking her against me. "Can we go somewhere to talk?"

     "Absolutely." I feel her pull away even as she shivers. Of course she forgot her jacket. I open the passenger door digging behind the seat and pull out my navy track jacket. She hugs is tight to herself when I slide it around her shoulders while helping her into the seat. "How do you feel about some hot chocolate?"

     "You know me so well. That sounds perfect."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     "Come here my beautiful lover." Melanie wraps her hands around the steaming cup of chocolate heaven purring at it.

     "Should I leave the two of you alone for awhile?" I throw my head back laughing while she extends her hand to flip me off. I feel my stupid smile stick on my face while I watch her carefully sip her drink trying to avoid burning her tongue. The cafe is alive with conversation as people take up almost all of the seats. We were lucky to get our own corner table for a little privacy.

     Mel's soft blue eyes bounce constantly back and forth between her drink and me. She opens her mouth a few times and I think she is going to finally say something, but she just shuts it before turning away. It is hard to believe after a month of barely talking she seems afraid to speak to me.