Chapter 22

Sea green eyes stare back at me from the rear view mirror of my truck holding me in my seat. The green seems to shine brighter while the Christmas lights make the blue rims of my irises to shift between dark and light. My eyes shift to my normally messy hair now styled for the party. My shoulders slump back in my seat when my gaze reaches the large white house in front of me. I could totally just leave and forget this whole thing because I haven't been seen yet.

     A long groan exits my mouth while I rip open the door taking a step outside. My opposite hand stays across my body preventing my suit from creasing while I carefully shut the door. I freeze on the front porch staring at my reflection in the glass door. My tightly fitted suit looks perfect, but the reflection in front of me looks unfamiliar. I make sure to straighten my tie then bring up my right hand to alert the house of my arrival.

     The door is torn open by Amber's mother before my hand ever meets the glass. "Jayden! It is so nice to see you." Her delicate arms wrap around my shoulders as I return the gesture gladly. "My my. I swear you look more handsome each time I see you."

     Feeling my face flush with warmth I reply, "Thank you Mrs. Knight. You look simply stunning tonight." Her long black hair glides off her shoulder leading to the simple, but elegant black gown that hangs down to her mid calf. Her neck shows off a thin white gold necklace her husband got her last Christmas. I feel her playfully smack my chest before taking my arm in hers leading me inside.

     "I have told you hundreds of times. No more of this Mrs. Knight crap. Please call me Madilyn or Maddy." Her pleading russet eyes reach me as I simply nod following her lead into the main living area. My dress shoes click as they move across the bright tile floor before the sound is covered up by soft music and the buzz of conversation from the other groups of guests.

     Madilyn plants a kiss on my cheek quickly before rushing off to find her husband before he can embarrass her with stories from their youth. I make my way through the crowd towards area covered with seats with only two occupants. My ears pick up their voices before I get a look at their faces.

     "Hold still Alexander." Melanie directs her commanding tone to our friend as his hands clamp down on her wrists pulling them away from his head.

     "Stop fussing about my head Mel. I got hit over a month ago so I am fine." His voice is a hushed whisper that stills her. "Now back to what I was saying before. I want to apologize about kissing you that one night. Well not really. I have wanted to do that for a very long time and I saw it as my only chance. I am only sorry that we had been drinking beforehand because it just looks like a typical Alex thing to do. I am an ass for that, but that was the best kiss of my life. Look I understand if you never want it to happen again I just want you to know it was no simple thing for me. You aren't just some girl. You are special to me and ..... oh hey Jay"

     Melanie spins around as fast as lightning pulling away from Alex as if she was being burned. Her cheeks burn bright pink when her gaze meets my eyes. "Am I interrupting something? Should I come back later?"  Alex begins to open his mouth and is stopped by Melanie's glare. She steps forward to embrace me.

     "Don't worry about it Jayden. We can finish this conversation later." Her face whips back to Alex on the last word making him grin. She distances herself from me double checking my tie for me. "I'm glad you made it Jay. I was worried you would end up skipping and miss out."

     "I was really tempted to. I sat in my truck out front for forever, but now that Mrs. Knight saw me I can't leave. I would never hear the end of it from her." Melanie and Alex both burst out laughing know it is entirely true. I flick my eyes over to Alex to see her attention is solely on Melanie.

     "Doesn't Mel look absolutely lovely tonight Jay?" I roll my eyes are the ever smooth Alexander before returning them to Melanie. Her cinnamon hair is no longer tied in her signature ponytail because tonight it is pulled up in a dazzling bun with a few strands running along the side of her face. Her baby blue eyes pop in combination with her cute dress. Her cerulean blue dress flows down to her knees with silver snow flakes sprinkled down her sides. My mouth hands open to agree with Alex and tell Melanie how good she looks when small hands cover my eyes pulling me back.

     The mystery person's voice caresses my ears, "Guess who?" I pry the weak hands from my face to spin and wrap Bethany in a tight hug. When I set her down she leaves her hands along my biceps peering over my shoulder. "Sorry guys I have to steal Jayden from you because SOMEONE doesn't like to text me anymore." Beth intertwines our arms before dragging me off with her while I frantically wave goodbye to my friends.

     She flashes me a tooth smile and tightens her grip on my arm making sure I am going nowhere. "I am so happy you came. I thought I was going to have to send my late boyfriend to kidnap you from home." I raise an eyebrow at her making her giggle and she pushes me away with one hands while maintaining her pull on me with the other. "I pray he likes my outfit tonight."

     Her dark hair and flashing blue eyes look to me as I take in her dress. Dark and light greens swirl together as white stars pop continuously along her dress with a Christmas colored ribbon circles the bottom on the frilly dress. I told her sister and mother a few years ago she was going to be a beautiful girl when she got older and now I am afraid at how accurate my old statement was. "You have nothing to worry about Beth. If he doesn't I will just have to beat him senseless."

     She leans into me as we mingle with other guests sharing tales and laughs. My mind seems at ease for the first time in over a month and it is all thanks to Bethany forcing me to come to this party. A soft frown finds its way onto my face when I turn to Beth after leaving to get drinks. "Why were you so insistent I wore a red tie? It seems so random."

     She nearly spits out her drink listening to my words before giving me a look. Her head shakes side to side as I hear her mutter under her breath, "Boys are so dumb." She takes in a deep breath composing herself taking another glance away from me before talking. "It's a simple thing. A guy is suppose to buy a tie to match the dress. Alex's tie is blue to match Melanie's.  My father's tie goes with my mom's dress and so will my boyfriend's whenever he shows up. You are suppose to dance with the only red dress here tonight." A smug smile stares are me while I search the crowd checking for anyone wearing a red dress.

     I slowly relax turning back to her after making sure there is no one dressed in red at this party. "Looks like the jokes on you." I stand a little taller until Bethany starts laughing with her attention focused across the room.

     "You need to look again Jayden. You're date is making an appearance." One of her hands gentle pats my arm before I feel the other forcefully push me forward. "Toodles Jay. I have a boyfriend to go find." My feet stop after a few steps when my eyes walk up the spiral staircase. I stand dumbly staring at the flowing red dress making her descent.