Part 24

NICO

I feel vividly awake. So aware of everything around me. I remember my talk with my father just as well. I accept Will's hand to help me sit up.
Annabeth moves over to me, fresh tears on her cheeks, but smiling. She gives me a brief hug and sits back.
And then I see Percy, on his knees, his face a pale white I've never seen it. He breathes as if it's an effort, his eyes closed. For a moment I think he might be praying, but he raises one hand to the bridge of his nose, leans down.
'Percy.' Annabeth says. He doesn't look up straight away. Takes a moment. Then looks up and smiles thinly.
'All good.' He says in a hoarse voice. He moves over to my side and shakes his head lightly, 'how're you...you feel okay?' He asks. His voice stays strained. He tries to ignore it.
'Not bad.' I say, 'I'm alive, so.'
'That's a win.' He says. And then he pulls me into a hug, his head buried in my shoulder. It's incredibly uncharacteristic of him, but he holds on tightly.
'Gods, Percy. I'm starting to think you care.' I say, laughing slightly as he continues to hug me.
'Not at all.' He says, pulling back. He wipes his eyes on the sleeve of his shirt. They're still red when he pulls away.
'Right.' I say, flustered. Percy is usually fairly reserved. Especially with me, since he knows how much I hate physical contact.
'So what was that?' Annabeth asks, 'like, what just happens?'
'I had a little chat with my dad.' I say, leaning into Will who supports me.
'This was your dad?!' Percy asks, surprised, 'I thought you were the kid he wanted to break the typical Hades kid routine. Live a good long life and all.'
'He seems to think the land of the living isn't the place for me. Says he thinks I'll never be happy here. And yes, that's a direct quote.' I say, laughing slightly. Everyone else stays silent.
'So he wanted you to stay with him?' Will asks. He sounds slightly horrified. His grip gets a little bit tighter.
'Seems it.' I say, 'But uh, hey. Didn't appeal. Thought I'd try my luck here for a while.' Even as I'm speaking I see their faces grow concerned. I look to the floor. Ignore it, 'So I'm hungry. And seeing as I just, yknow, died and all, I think I'm entitled to early dinner.'