Part 43

WILL

I practically storm up to Nico once I'm no longer needed. He's sitting with two girls and a boy from the Ares cabin and he smiles and waves as he sees me coming, before realising I'm not in my best mood.  
'Hey, you okay?' He says, standing and looking warily to the other three people.
'Gods, he's a prick.' I say, shaking my head. Nico kisses my cheek quickly - a greeting I've found he does a lot.
'Who? Chiron?' Nico asks confused.
'My dad. Apollo.' I say, 'he's the most rude, ungrateful, oblivious-'
'Hey,' he cuts me off quickly, quickly moving me away from the Ares campers, 'don't get me wrong, I love this. Love it. But should you really be badmouthing your own dad, when he's a god, and literally in this camp?'
'He doesn't have his powers. None of them. That's why all of our cabin has lost their own abilities. He's not dangerous, he's just selfish.' I say.
'What'd he do?' Nico asks, curious.
'Complained about everything. Kept blaming us for his downfall. Saying we should go on a quest for him. Saying we should die for him. I told him we already did. I told him about my sister. Who died in that battle. He barely registered it.'
'He's a prick.' Nico agrees, 'but...'
'What?' I say, somewhat accusingly, then softening, 'What?'
'All gods are. It's in their nature. My dad literally tried to get me to die. Hell, I'm only here- no, me, Percy and Thalia are only here because our dads were trying to win a bet. A glorified bet.' He says, frustrated, 'it's just what they do. And you can be annoyed, if you want to be. It's kind of refreshing to see you as the moody one. Kind of hot. But don't waste your frustration on him.'
'Gods, you're right.' I say, leaning my forehead wearily against his, 'wait what? Did you just say hot?'
'No.' He says quickly, 'no, no. I said don't waste frustration. I gave good advice. Focus on that.'
I can't stop myself smiling, kiss him softly. 'How'd you get so wise?'
'It's a blessing and a curse.' He says, linking his hand with mine and walking back up to the cabins. We quickly run into Apollo and Meg, and despite my attempt to avoid him, he calls us out.
'It's the Hades boy! You were part of the crew, you can go on a quest for me.' Apollo says, walking towards us, 'Nicholas, or...nick...or...'
'Nico.' I correct for him, 'and he's not going on anymore quests. He's on bed rest. Doctor's orders.'
'Would you really pass this chance for fame and glory?' Apollo asks. I can see Nico repressing a small smile.
'I think I will.' He says. I clutch his hand a little tighter.
'Are you together?' Meg asks, looking at us holding hands and having no regards for personal privacy.
'He's my boyfriend.' I say, looking at Apollo to see if I catch any odd look on his face. But he seems unfazed. I know there are myths about him with guys and girls, but I've learnt to never assume.
'Hey.' Nico says, sounding vaguely annoyed.
'What? Would you prefer partner? Significant other?'
'Significant annoyance in your case.' He says, looking to the floor. I can't help but smile slightly.
'Anyway, dad, We were just going to the music hall so if you excuse us-'
'Yes! Music. That's what I need. Of course I'll come with you. You're welcome. Come on, Meg.' He says, turning and leading the way, leaving Nico and I reluctantly following, having failed to escape him.