Part 49

WILL

I wake up early, as do the rest of my siblings. But instead of hanging out in the cabin as the rest of my siblings do, I head outside. I sit on the bench just outside our cabin, where I have a direct line of view to Nico's cabin.
I do this each morning that I don't spend with him, just sit and wait for him to open the door. He's normally up soon after me.
'Meg and I leave today.' Apollo says. I turn and see him standing a little while away from me. He seems unsure as to whether to sit beside me or not.
'I can't believe you swore to not play music until you're a god again.' I say, shaking my head. He's frustrating, and I've quickly dismissed the authority I thought he had.
'I simply cannot play music that is not as perfect as it once was.' He says, returning to his obnoxious self.
'It was selfish and stupid.' I say, turning to him. I don't think either of us expected me to get angry at him, but I find it's all built up and it was long overdue, 'Kayla is out there, your daughter. I do not even know if she's alive or...' I choke slightly, unable to get out the next word, 'I can't fight. I'm not a fighter. Otherwise I would be out there, right now. But you, you say you've done this before. So do it. I don't care if it's not the best you've ever fought, or looked or sung or whatever. I don't care how you do it. I don't care. I just need you to bring her back. I don't care how.'
'You look like your mother when you get angry. I should know, I made her angry far too often.' He says, looking away to the lake. He grips the banister by the stairs and sighs, 'I know I can be...oblivious. It's hard to put myself in your shoes, and I'm sure it's hard for you to do the same. Perhaps I was a little...a little rash with the oath I made.'
'You think?' I say, but he continues.
'But I promise you that I care for Kayla deeply. Her father was kind and so was she. I will find her and I will bring her back here, safe. I promise you, William.'
'Will.' I say.
'Sorry. Will.' He says, 'I like Nico, by the way. He scares me slightly, like his father, but he seems good. And you seem happy.'
'I am.' I say, slightly uncomfortable with the paternal change in conversation. He suddenly sounds so sincere, so caring.
'We are all aware that he did a lot for us. I mean all of the Gods. Maybe I didn't give you all enough credit. I'd forgotten what it was like to be human. But a week is enough to remind me.'
'When do you leave?'
'An hour or so. We decided last night. We wanted to leave early enough to avoid a crowd. That was Meg's idea. I'd much prefer a crowd to wave us both off, but she insisted that it'd be better this way. I'm unsure why.'
I laugh slightly as I hear the old Apollo start to come back. It's reassuring in an odd way. I'm just about to go on when Nico's door opens. Apollo notices my reaction and sees for himself. I don't say anything, not wanting to be rude and dismiss him for Nico, but he smiles and laughs a little.
'Don't let me hold you back.' He says, 'Cupid would kill me if he knew I got in the way of young love.'
'Don't mention that asshole.' I say, standing up, and waving quickly to Nico to tell him I'm coming in a moment.
'Oh yes. I forgot how he played a part in Nico's story.'
'You know?'
'Cupid doesn't like to keep secrets. Especially ones that aren't his own.' Apollo says, 'I'm sorry about what he did. It wasn't his to decide.'
'He better hope I never meet him.'
'I'm sure you'd give him hell.' He says. I can see Nico waiting, so I don't respond, just nod briefly to Apollo and walk away, unsure as to how we have left our relationship. It still seems far too odd to see him as a father. But I feel as though we are close to becoming friends.