Part 47

NICO

There is a point when I come back to myself. After having fallen apart over and over in Will's arms, I realise that I'm okay. That I am safe.
Will notices my calmer state and loosens his arms around me, but doesn't let go.
'You okay?' He asks calmly.
'I think so.' I say, doing a mental check on myself. Seeing if I have truly gotten it out of my system for now, 'I don't know.'
'What are you thinking?' He asks, his thumb tracing circles on the back of my hand.
'I...I didn't think that would effect me. I don't know. I've just...'
'You've been through worse.' He says.
'Exactly. I thought...I don't know. It's nothing compared to everything else.'
'Maybe it's because it's where you started to have darker thoughts?' He offers, hesitant, 'it's where you started to doubt yourself.'
I stay quiet. I don't like when people bring up that bit of my life. When I almost became the bad guy. Almost became what everyone expected of me. Will notices me tense up, and he places his hand on my back, and I dissolve again. Even if everyone else thought that, I know that he believes I am good. He knows I am fully good. And that's enough.
'I'm sorry. The maze shouldn't have been used. Considering what you, Percy and Annabeth went through in there. Chiron shouldn't have approved it. I'm sorry.'
'It's okay. I'd rather it be used for a game now. It's a kind of...I don't know, a screw you to the shit it put me through.' I say, 'but I'm not ready to do that yet. I probably never will be. I'm brave when it comes to places I haven't gone to yet, but I'm terrified of the places I've been.'
'I get it. It's okay. You don't have to worry about that now. You're here. And you're staying here. That's it for now. That's enough.'