Part 38

NICO

I spend the majority of the day with Percy. I help him pack up and load all his and Annabeth's stuff into his car, trail behind him as he says his goodbyes around camp.
We talk about small, insignificant things. As if to ignore the goodbye that is inevitably coming. But we're standing outside their car and we can't sidestep it anymore.
Since the battle, I've always had someone who I fought it with close to me. As soon as Annabeth and Percy leave, it'll be just me. I know Percy sees it too. I know he's scared to leave, scared to move on from it all.
'Alright.' He says, as he shuts the boot door.
'Stay safe, okay?' Annabeth says to me, smiling sadly and pulling me into a hug. Uncharacteristically, I hug her back.
'You too.' I say. I pull away and wipe my eyes with the sleeve of my jumper. She smiles, looks to Percy then gets into the car.
'Listen,' Percy says, sounding as if he has no idea what he's about to say, 'I...'
'Just come back soon, okay?' I say, raising my eyebrows as I watch him try to muster some words.
'If you need anything, at all, anything. Call me. Call me anyway.' He pauses and looks to Annabeth who sits in the passenger seat, 'I already know what you're going to say, but I'm going to offer anyway. You could come. Camp Jupiter already sees you as one of their own. Hazel's there, you could come. You could.'
I smile and have to wipe my eyes again. I shake my head and he lets out a sigh.
'You know I can't leave now.' I say, my voice quiet. He nods, he understands.
'I'm glad you've found something that makes you want to stay.' He says, 'just...visit? Okay? Camp Jupiter, or you could stay at my house, just make sure you visit.'
'I will.' I say, and he finally pulls me into a hug. He holds me tightly and protectively. I know he doesn't want to leave me. I know he still feels responsible for me. 'It's okay,' I say as he pulls away, 'you can go. I'll be okay.'
'I know. I know. Are you sure?' He says, backing up against the car but not getting in.
'Go.' I say, smiling. He laughs a little and looks at me.
'Who are you going to eat with now?' He asks as he opens the door and sits down.
'I'll figure something out.' I say, 'drive safe. Don't do anything stupid.'
'That's his middle name.' Annabeth says.
'You know full well my middle name is seaweed brain.'
'Same difference.' She says.
'Alright. Bye you guys.' I say, shutting the door for him and stepping away, putting my hands in my pockets.
Percy drives off down the road and I see Annabeth roll down her window and stick her head out, waving to me. I wave back, and stand there until I can't see the car anymore.
I stand for a moment longer, then turn and make my way back to the infirmary.