Chapter 36

"Stop that!" Ryker hissed, swatting my hand away. We were on the ship, heading back to the hunter base. I was trying to help Ryker treat his injuries, but he was being... stubborn. 

"Ryk, if your wounds aren't treated then they'll become infected and you might not be able to use a sword if they get infected severely, so please just stop complaining and hold still." I begged, trying to make him see reason. Ryker grumbled, but didn't fight me anymore as I dabbed at the wound on his shoulder. 

"Pest?" 

"What?" I asked, internally cursing myself for responding to the name he called me. 

"Why did you defend me?" I paused my work and thought for a moment. 

"I... don't know..." I remarked, leaning back in my chair. "I suppose the best way to explain it is the same way I understand it. In dragon terms, when a dragon becomes close with another, that dragon becomes protective of that dragon and its family." Ryker nodded in understanding. 

"Well, then... thanks for... you know..." 

"It's no problem. Now, stop moving so I can get this done." I finished cleaning his wound and wrapped bandages around his shoulder and wrists before putting all the medical supplies away. 

"We should be back at the base soon." Ryker stated as he strapped his wrist guards on over his bandages. I turned towards him, hopping up to sit on the edge of the table. 

"What are we going to tell Viggo?" I asked. 

"Tell him the bounty hunters turned on us when they found out they weren't getting gold for their hunt and then, tell him about the riders finding us." I nodded, knowing that that would be all we could do. A knock came from the other side of the door, causing Ryker to pause strapping his sheath onto his back. "Enter." A nervous looking hunter entered, eyeing the both of us as he stayed in the doorway. "What is it?" 

"We'll be arriving shortly." I nodded in thanks, dismissing him. The hunter quickly left the room, closing the door behind him. Silence filled the room, the only sounds being from Ryker finishing the straps of his sheath. 

"You should be the one to tell him what happened." Ryker stated, breaking the silence. I looked up at him, shocked. 

"But... You're his brother. Shouldn't you-" 

"If the news were better, I would, but with this being a failure..." Ryker sighed before continuing, "I think he'd rather hear it from you." I thought over what he said before nodding, not completely understanding, but accepting. "We should head up to the main deck. Viggo will be waiting for us when we arrive." With that, Ryker and I stood leaving the captain's quarters to go and get ready to greet Viggo when we got back to the base.

<Sorry this chapter is so short and also sorry for this taking me so long to do. I've been busy with school, but thankfully, I only have a few days left, so it should be a lot easier for me to post chapters. Hope you guys are enjoying this story!>