8

When I kept my silence he must have known. I couldn't deny it. I couldn't dare to say those untrue words.

I'm not in love with you.

The words never came together when I thought of Grayson. They have never been able to. As hard as I tried, the words could never leave my lips.

"Mara"

"Grayson stop it." I said trying to make the thought of us go away. Or the thought of what we could have been.

"Mara, I know you feel it too"

"If I did, would it matter?"

"Of course it would" he said.

"Then how come it didn't matter when you were making out with Melanie?" I turned to face him.

"Or when you told me I was just your best friends sister?" I spat.

He looked like the words hurt him. He deserved to be hurt. He couldn't play with my feelings then come springing back to me. That's not how love works.

"Mara you know better than anyone that I don't care about all those other girls." He pleads.

"And you know better than anyone else that being with me fucks up your friendship with my brother" I say turning back to the ground.

"Mara plea-"

"What do you want me to do Grayson?! Go back in time and change things?! Would you really want that?" I asked and that clearly shut him up.

"I love you Grayson."

He looked at me with watery eyes.

"But everything that's happened between us, it's gone. We forget about it and go back to how we were. Reece maybe your best friend but he's my brother first. And I maybe in love with you, but he's the only one that I can guarantee to be in my future. I can not afford to lose him Gray"

I begin to drive again and we sat in silence. There was nothing I could say to him. I'm sure he had nothing left to say to me.

I unlocked the house doors to a very happy Reece.

"Mar-Mar! Your letter from NYU came in!" Reece shouted handing me the paper jumping up and down.

I looked back at Grayson. He knows how much I needed to get in to NYU.

"Open it!" Reece shouts in excitement.

I slowly opened up the envelope hoping for some good news today.

We are pleased to tell you that you have been accepted.

"Ahh!" I scream jumping up and down.

"I got in!" I shouted.

"You did?!" Reece shouted.

"I just said that!" I shouted back at him happily.

"Congrats Mara, um I gotta head home. For the rest of the day, you know my mom" Grayson said before he left. It was suspicious but I wasn't paying attention to him because of my letter.

"You got in!" Reece shouted again engulfing my hug.

At least one thing went completely right today. I was going to my dream school.

I quickly dialed mom's number and made her turn it speaker.

"So mom..." I say.

"Yes honey?"

"I got accepted into NYU!" I shouted in happiness.

The phone went silent for a second.

"Amara... sweetie you know you are all set to go to Princeton" my dad says.