32

2 weeks later...

I stared at myself in the mirror, the blue gown and cap. Graduation.

I held my essay in my hands as I walked out with the rest of my class.

"Can you believe we're graduating?!" Kelsey exclaimed.

"Not really" I said nervously.

"You nervous?" Ashton asked and I nodded my head.

"It's alright, you got this" he gave me a hug.

"Thanks Ash"

We were them lined up in last name alphabetical order. I stood in front of Reece as we walked outside to see a bunch of people on the bleachers watching us.

We all sat in the chairs on the field.

People made speeches and I actually listened. This was the last high school experience I'm getting.

"You're next" Reece whispered.

"Now our essay winner, Amara Reynolds!"

Fucking Ms. Alvarez, I blame you for this.

I walked up and onto the stage with shaky hands. I moved the mic closer to me.

"Hi, I'm Amara Reynolds" I said super awkwardly and I heard a few chuckles.

"The essay that I wrote is about love and sacrifice"  I spoke as I saw mom and dads faces in the crowd.

I flipped the title page and began to read it.

"To me, sacrifice is giving up someone you love, for something you love more than yourself. More than the ability to breathe"

"But to give up someone that you truly love, you lose apart of yourself. A part that you will never truly get back, until they are back"

"Sacrifice can be your parents taking on more work to provide for you."

My eyes drifted to Grayson in the crowd of a bunch of caps.

"My love was true, but sometimes it's better to let someone go."

"Part of loving people is giving them up"

"To grow as a person I had to sacrifice. I realized awhile ago that if I don't give up something for what I want, the thing that I want will be given up"

"Love cant possibly be the answer to every single question. Because true and real love means sacrifice. So sometimes love means letting go"

"Growing up I didn't know the true meaning to sacrifices. But now, I know the complete and painful feeling of it"

I felt tears running down my face as my eyes stayed on Grayson.

"But the truest of sacrifices is giving up your own happiness for the sake of somebody else"

I looked to Reece and then back to Grayson.

"True love, is sacrifice, pain, separation, and stinging tears. But yet, the love remains in our hearts, it stays despite all of it."

I looked to Grayson who I love despite all of this mess.

"And it wasn't until now that I knew what love was. Love is sacrifice."

I folded the paper down and looked to the crowd.

"Thank you" I say before the crowd is clapping for me. There were cheers and claps all around me.

I walked off stage and sat back with Reece. People had complemented my essay.

Then they started giving out diplomas. I only paid attention to the main people.