BONUS: Production Notes

Here is a chapter where production notes about this fic will appear; namely, obscure references and other notes related to this story will appear here.

-----

CHAPTER 8: Stand By Me, Kaori

THE SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS: They are a team in the Canadian Football League, as mentioned by Kaori, and play in the CFL's West Division. The team is based in the Saskatchewan provincial capital of Regina, and play their home games at Mosaic Stadium (since 2017). The team was established in 1910 as the Regina Rugby Club, and are the second-oldest team in the CFL (and the oldest surviving team in the West Division). They were renamed the Regina Roughriders, becoming the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1948. The team has won only four Grey Cups (the CFL's Super Bowl) as of this writing, in 1966, 1989, 2007 and 2013, the least of all the nine current CFL teams. The team is known in the CFL for having the most diehard fans in the league, with fans not just in their home province of Saskatchewan, but all across Canada and the world. Some people get married at their games, have their honeymoon at their games and even propose there, too; it is common across Canada to see a Green/White Roughriders logo somewhere. Among some of the star players in the history include quarterback Ron Lancaster, running back George Reed, quarterback Kent Austin, receiver Ray Elgaard, kicker Dave Ridgway, to name a few.

CANADIAN FOOTBALL: Canadian football is sport that similar to American football in many ways. However, there quite a few rules differences, to name a few: 1) The field is bigger, in that it is 110 yards long by 65 yards wide, with two 20 yard long endzones on each end (as opposed to 100 yards by 53.3 yards wide, with two 10 yard endzones; including the endzones, the Canadian field is 34% larger than the American one). 2) Each team fields 12 men on offense and defense, not 11. 3) The offense only gets 3 downs, not 4 to convert 10 yards. 4) In the U.S. game, where one backfield on offense can move prior to the snap, ALL backfield can move before the snap in Canada. 5) The 'fair catch' rule in the American game, which allows any punt or kickoff to be returned without any interference, is no in effect in Canada; however, there is one caveat: The kicking team must give the the return team a 5-yard halo to catch the ball, otherwise, a "no yards" penalty will result. 6) The goalposts are on the front of the endzone, not the back in Canada. 7) Canadian rules allow a drop kick to be attempted at any time by any player, but this is rarely done. 8) The most unique part about Canadian football is there is an additional way of scoring, called a rouge (but more commonly referred to as a "single"): One point is scored when the ball is kicked into the end zone by any legal means—other than a convert (successful or not) or a successful field goal—and the receiving team does not return (or kick) the ball out of its end zone. A single is also scored if the kick travels through the end zone, or—other than on a kickoff—the ball goes out of bounds in the end zone without being touched.

THE CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE: The league was founded in 1958 when nine clubs (the B.C. Lions, Calgary Stampeders, Edmonton Eskimos, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Toronto Argonauts and Montreal Alouettes), who came from two different football leagues, merged to form the CFL. The league plays a 18-game regular season spanning from mid-June to early November. The playoff format features the top team from each division having an automatic home berth in the division final, and a bye week during the division semifinal. The second-place team from each division hosts the third-place team in the division semifinal, unless a fourth-place team from one division finishes with a better record than a third place team in the other (this provision is known as the crossover rule.) The winners of each division's semifinal game then travel to play the first place teams in the division finals. The two division champions then face each other in the Grey Cup game. The Grey Cup has been awarded since 1909; but has been awarded exclusively to the CFL since 1958.

-----

CHAPTER 51: THE WIND BENEATH OUR WINGS (I)
Brian Madigan and Lisa Deslaruiers both have middle names: Brian's is Joseph, and Lisa's is Bette (Brian Joseph Madigan and Lisa Bette Deslaruiers).