Outings

"Jen, we're going fishing for ONE day.  Not a whole week." 

Brad follows me around as I pack our bags for the day, annoying me with all his comments about me being too overprotective.

"We do this all the time with a can of bug spray, our fishing rods and a water bottle.  We don't need a whole freaking first aid kit.  You have wrist splints in here.  Splints!"

"Last time Josh came home and his whole wrist was swollen.  I'm taking precautions."

"You're overreacting."

"I'm keeping all of us safe."

I finish packing the bags, adding some ice bags and extra water bottles before following Brad out to the car.

"Where are the boys anyway?  They're always in the car already."

"They drove separately... left an hour ago when you were digging through our bathroom for extra bandaids."

"Oh..."

"Let's go before you think of something else ridiculous we don't need."

He pulls me back to the car, locking the doors before I have the chance to escape and grab the extra towels that he says we'll never need anyway.  I sit there, wondering why I even decided to come with in the first place when I could have easily had a much more relaxing day at home.

"So how much of this is actual fishing?  Like is there a spot for me to read or something?"

"Jen, we've been over this.  You could have stayed home if you wanted to do that all day.  We can survive without you for one day..."

"You could at least act excited for me to be coming with."

"I am excited, just thought maybe you'd have more fun with the girls or your friends.  I don't want you sitting around bored all day."

"I won't be bored, I'm never bored with you guys.  Something dumb always happens and I end up saving your ass."

He finally pulls up to the lake, finding Josh and Kaid fighting on the dock over who gets to sit on which chair, making Brad and I laugh as we walk up to them with all the actual fishing supplies since all they have is bait they found leftover from other people.

"Mom!  Josh pushed me off the chair!  I almost fell into the water." Kaid runs down to Brad and I "He's been so mean since we got here!"

"Oh my God, you guys haven't been here long enough for this."  Brad hands him another chair, pushing him off towards Josh.

"Look, they're flicking bait at each other," I start walking faster to end this, but quickly realize it isn't going to stop very easily.

"Guy, listen to your mom!  She's here all day, you don't want her getting any angrier."

We set everything up to fish, separating the boys from each other to keep fighting to a minimum, and sit peacefully waiting for any kind of action.

"Wow this is boring."

I lean back, sighing as I watch the fish in the distance.

"You could have stayed home, Jen." Brad is starting to get annoyed by my comments "You can gladly go back if you want."

"Nice to know you guys really want me."

"We love you, mom.  You just scare off all the fish."

"Yeah, you're mean and they can sense it."

I turn to Brad for help, but he just agrees with them, reluctantly handing me the book I brought with and telling me to go read it if I want. 

"Just make sure one of you catches dinner.  I don't have anything else planned."