Chapter Thirty-Three: I Still Miss You

Hero

Today is the first time I've skipped class. I needed to skip today. I was going home. I needed to be home. It's been exactly five years since Ben died. Five years since I watched my older brother die. Josephine had to stay at the apartment, she couldn't miss work and school, and I didn't want her to. I'll be back in less than 48 hours. We only lived about two hours from home in case of an emergency.

I park the car in my parents driveway and grab my phone and water-bottle. When I enter the house, I see Mom sitting in quieter living room, the one where she used to grade papers. She was alone, a pile of tissues around her.

Her baby bump was showing. She was six and a half months in. Last month, she discovered that she's having a girl. Hadley and I will be 18 years older than our sister. Mom hadn't thought of a name yet, Hadley had a few ideas, and so did Dad, but Mom wasn't choosing any names until the baby comes out healthy and happy. She wasn't old, but she wasn't young. She was 42 and Dad was 43.

"Mom?" I ask. She looks up, then stands, opening her arms. I approach her slowly and wrap my arms around her. She cries into my chest and I kiss her hair.

"Where's Dad?" I ask. Why was she home alone on a day like this?

"He went to pick up flowers for us to put on his grave." She replies and pulls away from me, wiping her nose with the clumped up tissue in her hands. She drops it and grabs one more, wiping her tears.

"What about Hadley? Is she coming?" I ask and kick off my shoes, sitting down on the couch with her. She nods and turns to look into my eyes while she speaks to me.

"Yeah. Her class got out a few minutes late and she was stopping to pick up coffees for everyone. What about Josephine?" She replies and I set my phone on the small wicker table,

"She has work and class, but I didn't want her to come, she has been dealing with enough death lately," I start, taking a sip of water, then setting the bottle next to my phone, "She was pregnant, and lost the baby. Since that day when she told me, I haven't been able connect to her like I used to be able to. She's been distancing herself."

"I'm sorry Hero, you two don't deserve that. If it didn't happen, we would've helped you. We can help you through anything that happens. She should've came though, Jamie stopped by to see if she was coming. He hasn't saw her since you guys packed up and left. I heard she hasn't even texted or called any of them." Mom replies and I nod, wrapping my arms around her. The door opens and Dad enters with a bunch of flowers, Hadley follows behind him with a tray of four coffees. Mom and I stand up and they set down both things on the table. We wrap into a tight hug.

"Are you guys ready to go see him?" Dad ask and Mom nods, then Hadley. We all follow him out to the car and Hadley and I sit in the backseat, buckling our belts. She hands out the coffees and I sip at mine slowly. It's warm, but not hot enough. I want something that will burn my tongue. To bring me pain.

The car ride to the cemetery is long and dreary. I just want to get this over with. Now that it was actually happening, my heart hurt. My body aches. I can't take this. I can't take this emotional pain.

"Mom. I can't do this." I whine and shake my head, tears come to my eyes and I frown.

"We're already here, at least come stand with us. Please?" She asks and I look down to my shoes, then take her hand.

I nod and follow them out of the car and to the grave.

We stand around Ben's grave, the small headstone stares up at us. It was covered in moss and was beginning to fade.

Dad sets the flowers down and we stand over the grave. It felt surreal. I slowly begin to back away, everyone following me back to the car. The ride home is silent.

Just what I needed.

I hope I didn't make you cry with that one, and if I did, I'm sorry!

I have a new book debuting soon!

A small teaser will be in the next chapter so stay tuned. It will be a herophine fanfic, again lmao, but I hope y'all are excited!

I've had an idea in my head for a while and i wanted to write my next Herophine fanfic.

IN THIS ORDER:

if we were perfect/if they were perfect)
untitled herophine fanfic

the title and cover will debut on my Twitter @ aftermoviefan so go follow and stay tuned!

If you don't have Twitter, it will be on Wattpad within two week afterward, here's a sneak peak of the cover!