Chapter Thirteen: Anything For Us

JOSEPHINE

As I put the cap onto my head, the realization hits. We're graduating. Today. I set it a top my blond hair, then walk down the hallway with Hadley. She was waiting for me by the auditorium doors.

"You ready?" She ask. I nod and she yanks open the heavy metal door. The two of us enter and walk down the long walk way down to our seats at the bottom row. Next to Hero and Caleb. No one was sitting in alphabetical order, but all three of us were near the bottom of the alphabet so we'd come last.

"You scared?" Hero ask, taking my hand and kissing my knuckles. I nod, then look down to my lap.

"I'm terrified. Thank god I don't have to give a speech." I reply, looking over to Hadley, who had her speech on a piece of paper. She held the paper in her hands and looked over to me, mouthing the words 'Can you do it for me?'

I shake my head and mouth back the word, 'Sorry'.

Hero and Hadley's mom walks into stage, but my Mom doesn't follow. It's been almost a week, and she still hasn't come back. Why? It's my graduation and she missed it. My 'Dad' and Jamie were here, but she wasn't. It doesn't help that if she isn't home by the end of next week this up coming week, she'll miss my birthday.

I'd never forgive her if she missed my birthday, and my Graduation, and my prom. She's already missed two of the three.

"My Mom isn't here." I frown. Hero and Hadley turn to me, then Hero leans over the arm rest wrapping his arms around me. As he holds me, kids I've known since I was 8 or 9, walk onto the stage and take their diploma.

Caleb's name gets called, and he then scoots past us to get to the stage. He takes the diploma, then shakes their Mom's hand.

I watch as the crowd grows smaller and smaller, the other seniors going to the hallways to talk.

Then it's my turn. My Mom is officially missing my graduation.

I scoot past Hadley and walk down the walkway. As I slowly take the steps, one by one, as of they were a mountain, I feel my heart beat grow stronger and stronger, slowly rising up my throat.

I walk onto the stage, nearly 1000 people watching me grown closer and closer to Mrs. Washington. She shakes my hand, then hugs me, handing me my diploma.

She hugs me once more, her lips at my ear, "I'm sorry she couldn't be here. I have to tell you something later." She backs away, and I slowly leave the stage, going to Caleb and standing at his side, waiting for Hero and Hadley.

After a few minutes, Hadley joins us first, she jumps up and down and wraps her arms around me.

"I was freakin' scared to even go up on stage! I can't believe we graduated!" She says, jumping up and down excitedly. She smiles, pulling away and juggling Caleb.

Another minute passes before Hero joins us. He wraps his arms around me without any words. I hug him back and whisper to him as softly as I can, "We did it."

He nods, pulling away, "I think we should look for apartments on Wednesday, I'm not doing anything that day."

I caress his cheek with my fingers, "Okay."

Then, our lips connect and electricity pulses through my veins.

Holy shit.