[1] s o n j a

this is the story of even bech næsheim.

a second year student at elvebakken who was struggling with a mental illness that he never opened up about.

he was scared it would drive his friends away, or make them look at him differently.

it did with his girlfriend, sonja.

but these were just teenage insecurities, right?

or was it more than that?

EVEN POV
________

"god morgen." i said nonchalantly as i walked up to sonja who was leaning against her locker, friends by her side.

"morgen." she replied, barely acknowledging my existence and going back to chatting with her friends.

i looked back and forth at the three girls who were gossiping about another. this was the last thing i wanted to hear first thing in the morning.

luckily, just seconds after that thought, my friends yousef, mikael and elias tackled me from behind, right on time, i thought.

i chuckled a bit, "halla, thank goodness you guys are here... i can't stand this girl talk."

sonja scoffed and shot me a look, only wanting to pay attention to me when i was saying something she didn't like.

mikael, my closest of my friends gripped my shoulders and shook me. "don't worry, even, we have your back! we know how annoying sonja and her little friends can get." he joked, causing me let out a loud laugh.

as the laughter died down, i noticed sonja's arms were now crossed and she did not look happy. i raised my eyebrows at her, as if asking, what's wrong?

"so you're just gonna laugh?"

"what was i supposed to do?" i replied, glancing at my friends who clearly looked amused by the situation.

"defend me, even." she snapped, an unnecessary serious expression on her face. "not just laugh like an idiot."

i furrowed my eyebrows for a second, wondering why she was being so grumpy. usually, she had a pretty low tolerance, but there was no tolerance at all today and i had only seen her for 5 minutes.

i softened my look, tilting my head in understanding. "hey, i was only kidding, babe." i reassured, leaning forward to kiss her cheek. "i'm sorry."

her arms were still crossed over her chest and even though she played it off like she had stopped caring, i knew she still did. sonja was like that- the type of girl to hold grudges, never forget about anything you did no matter how minor. that was one thing i hated about our relationship. every little mistake of mine goes unnoticed, like she's somehow some angel- which we all know isn't true.

i couldn't break up with her though.

she knew me better than anyone, maybe even myself.

and once she realized that, that's where the manipulation began.