[20] r i v a l s

ISAK POV
________

even bech næsheim.

my arch nemesis- my rival since we first met.

everyone in the school knew it, and everyone was sick of our petty arguments that never had action. the only time we had ever got physical was when i made a joke about him acting like a mental person- and for reasons i don't know, that hit a soft spot and all hell broke loose from there.

we hated each other with a burning passion. just seeing his face made my blood boil, and there was no one i wanted to punch more just at the thought of him.

jonas had told me night before that even was ganging up on him with a friend, and that crossed the line. even can mess with me and it's all fun and games until he goes near my friends, so right now, i was on my way to confront him at school.

i tried to look as intimidating as possible, tilting my chin up in the slightest to show authority and walking up to him with a serious expression. i always forgot how tall he was compared to me when i stepped up to him, but i couldn't back down- no, i'd never.

"hey, idiot." i said in a loathsome tone, crossing my arms and glaring at him with annoyance just at the fact that i was in his presence.

he glanced at me, his expression nonchalant until he saw my face. his eyes widened and an almost shocked smile spread on his lips. "oh- morning, sunshine! what's making you so happy today?" he asked in sarcasm, knowing it would do nothing but provoke me and that's exactly what he wanted.

i clenched my jaw, resisting the urge to punch that smirk off his face then and there. "jonas told me that you and your friends were trying to pull a little stunt on him last night." i said, narrowing my eyes as they pierced into his blue ones.

even scoffed, turning his gaze away from me back to his locker where he shoved a couple books in. "well... jonas is a liar." he muttered, shutting the metal door and turning back to face me seeming unbothered.

"right," i said, receiving an eyebrow raise from even. "you must be stupider than i thought to think i'd believe you over my best friend, and you're gonna regret that."

without thinking it through, i leaped forward, swinging my fist to hit his left jaw. i gave him a good punch, hissing a bit and shaking my aching fist at the familiar pain that i hadn't felt in awhile. meanwhile, he barely made a noise- a small groan and that was it as he pressed his hand over the now red area.

i felt a few eyes on us, but the halls were quite emptier than usual. he looked up at me with an angry expression, and as i clenched my fists to strike another hit, he grabbed my arms harshly before i could make a move and dragged me to the janitors closet.

i tried to pry his hands off me, but there was no doubt that he was stronger than me. i had no chance of getting out of his grasp, which only infuriated me more.

he pushed me into the closet, causing me to hit my back against the wall. he shut the door, meeting my eyes again and stepping towards me. he grabbed me by my shirt, pressing me up against the wall with such force that i squeezed my eyes shut as i prepared for impact. to my surprise, a beating never came- only words.

"i didn't gang up on your friend." he said through gritted teeth, causing me to open my eyes and furrow my eyebrows. "so stop making assumptions about situations that have nothing to do with you."

"jonas wouldn't lie to me-" i said, trying to push him away from me which only made him use more strength to hold me back. "get off of me!"

he ignored me, continuing to talk as my arms strained against his hands. "jonas was trying to start something with my friend and all i was doing was breaking up the fight, then he came at me so my friend punched him. i didn't lay a finger on your friend."

i tried my best to read even's expression to see any signs of dishonesty, but couldn't. then again, maybe he's just a good liar. as i thought about it- i began to unintentionally relax and stop fighting for him to get off me.

his eyes burned into my own and i watched as he glanced down at my lips for a quick second. once i noticed, i realized how close our faces actually were and a bit of fear struck through me.

before i could protest or process any of that, he crashed his lips against mine using plenty of force that just showed how much he wanted this. my heart skipped a few beats as i gasped in his mouth, unsure of how to react to this. i swear- this guy was bipolar or something, one minute he's about to fight me and the next he's making out with me.

i jolted back, giving him a strange look as if asking 'what the heck, man?!', but my body had other ideas.

even thought i practically hated the guy- this felt so right and i couldn't help but connect our lips again, giving in to the intoxicating and addictive taste of his lips. i wanted more by the second and it only intensified as it was clear he wanted more as well.

my hands reached for his neck in attempt to pull his face closer to mine, even though i knew we were already as close as possible. my fingers found their way to his hair, tugging lightly on the blonde tufts shamelessly. this feeling was absolutely heavenly- and i never wanted it to stop, but unfortunately, it did not long after that thought.

he pulled away from me, leaving me a complete and utter mess as i panted for air, craving the taste of his lips in my mouth again.

"it smells like chemicals." he deadpanned, his face scrunching up into a disgusted expression.

"i know." i replied, my swollen, red lips parted in exertion. "lets take this elsewhere..?" i said hesitantly, it accidentally coming out as a question due to my self consciousness.

he nodded his head and opened his mouth to speak, but right as that happened, the school bell rang loudly enough for us to both flinch slightly. he glanced at me with wide eyes and disappointment consumed me.

"my place, tonight at 10." even blurted out, leaning forward to give me one more quick kiss. "i'll see you then."

before i could even respond, he rushed out of the door- leaving me there in shock and a little bit of excitement for what was to come.

i just kissed my rival.