Chapter 5: The Gala

"So, who is all going to be at the gala tonight?" I murmur as Dick zips up the back of my floor-length dress. I drop my hair as he finishes and I turn around to see him adjusting his tie. 

        "Just some rich people that want to know secrets and that kind of stuff. Maybe try and invest into Wayne Industries. I don't really care for them. That's why I am glad I have you to drag along to it with me. I have someone to talk to now."

        "I think that's a compliment." I mumble before smiling at him. "Shall we go downstairs? Or wherever this gala thing is..." 

        "It's at Town Hall. Alfred will be driving us."

        "Wait- then what about Mr. Wayne?"

        "Didn't I say we would piss him off?" Dick ducks down and grabs the new heels off of the floor. "I am not letting you walk down stairs in these heels." 

        "Well aren't you a gentleman?" I murmur before walking over to the door. "Are you sure I look good?"

        "You look stunning." Dick whispers, his eyes not wavering from mine. "Now come on. Got to go piss off Dad."

        "That, I am absolutely horrified about doing." I grimace and he laughs. "Come on, the last time he saw me, was when I was wearing only your t-shirt and your boxers. It's going to be so embarrassing." 

        "Don't sweat it. Just don't talk to him. I'll do all the talking."

        "And what about at the gala? I won't know anybody."

        "Small talk. Or we could just sneak away. We just have to make an appearance and then we can be on our way."

        "Do you do this often? Take a girl to a gala and then run off with her?" I say simply and Dick just shakes his head. 

        "No, usually the dates I have are some fan girls or something. I try to ditch them. You're the first I want to run away with and not from."

        "I'm going to take that as another compliment." I laugh and tuck some of my hair behind. Dick chuckles and opens the door, allowing me out before following behind, closing the door. He offers out his arm, which I take with a curious raising of the eyebrow. 

        "What? I'm just being a gentleman."

        "You don't seem like the gentleman-type. You seem more like the.... hmmm... player. Cocky. Doesn't play well with others. You seem like that sort of guy."

        "I'm going to take that as an insult." Dick says calmly and I shrug.

        "Don't. Lots of girls like that sort of guy."

        "Do you?"

        "Not really."

        "Then I take it as an insult." We arrive at the stairs and we walk down, me noticing the butler- Alfred- waiting at the bottom. "Is the car pulled around?"

        "Yes, the limo is out front, Master Wayne is still getting ready. He will meet you in the limo."

        "Thank you, Alfred." Dick nods at him and I curtsy a little. "Alfred, this is Miss Callie. She will be staying with us for a while." 

        "Very nice, Master Grayson." 

        When we get into the backseat of the limo, I'm amazed by all of the sleekness and upgrades it had. Mini-refrigerator, television, fiber-optic mood lighting, leather seats and pillows, full bar, a hands-free intercom, tinted windows and a moon roof.  "You guys know how to trick out a limo." I murmur in awe as I scoot all the way down the smooth leather couch.