Chapter 11: Girlfriend

*Ring, Ring*

*Ring, Ring*

*Ring, Ring*

        I sigh and glance up from Dick's laptop, sliding off of the bed to pick up his cell phone on the desk, answering it. "Hello-"

        The woman on the line immediately interrupts me. "Dick, your rent is overdue. I can't keep holding it off just because we're together you know. It would seem unfair to the other tenants, the landlady just paying off a tenant's rent like that. Either pay up, or give me a reason to pay it for you." The lady then ended the call as I just stood there in shock. My eyes wander over to the bathroom door, where Dick was, taking a shower.

        'Who was that lady?' My mind immediately thinks, and I bite my lip, going over to the bed and getting back on the laptop, his phone beside me so I could ask him when he got out.

        I kept clicking through pictures of a crime scene, since Dick was trying to help me improve my detective skills. He says he is just teaching me the basic things, but I'm beginning to wonder if he wants me in the field or not, or just or the sidelines, away from all of the action... I then notice something in the corner of each of the crime scenes, something linking them all together. I giggle and write down my find on my notepad, before searching for other details to link the victims together, some pattern, maybe. I look up their files with the facial recognition software Dick had on his laptop, and I find that they all worked under the same company.

        "Did you find anything yet?" Dick questioned as he walked out of the bathroom, only a towel around his waist. 

        "I think so. By the way, your landlady called. She wants some sugar to pay your bills." I mumble, not really looking up at him, but when he doesn't answer, I do. He wasn't showing any emotion on his face, which bugged me. "So, when were you going to tell me that I was just a side-girl? That you have a woman. Did you do it because you thought I wouldn't ever know about her? Did you do it because you thought I would be a one night stand kind of girl?"

        "Callie, listen, Bridget and I are not together. She's just my landlady. Sure, we had a thing back when I had first been in Bludhaven, but now we aren't." Dick sits down on the edge of the bed. "If you want, call her. Tell her everything. You are my girlfriend, Callie. Not some side-girl."

        I pout, not knowing what to say. "Go get dressed. I want to talk about this case." I shoo him off of the bed before looking through my notepad. Banana in corner, creepy messages on wall in same handwriting, blood of victims on walls at every crime scene, all victims are male in mid-twenties, all worked for Sionis Industries.

        "So, what did you find out?" Dick reenters the room, clothed this time as he sits down on the bed, looking from the laptop to my face, and then down to the notepad I offered him. 

        "I'm calling them the 'Banana Killer' right now, because of the bananas." I grumble, taking the laptop and checking my social media. I furrow my brow as I find that Dick had posted a picture of me, asleep in his arms, on the page. And now I had a ton of followers. "What is this?" I turn the laptop to face him.

        "What? I was just showing Gotham that you were my girlfriend." Dick shrugs before handing back the notepad and taking the laptop. "Nice observations. You are becoming a good sidekick."        

        "I'm a sidekick? I thought I was your girlfriend."

        "You are. But you help out the heroes, so you're like my sidekick also."

        "Why can't I just be a hero alongside you?"

        "Because it's too dangerous. Everyone that gets involved with the whole hero thing, ends up hurt, or dead. It's happened a lot to this family."

        "Dick, I'm sorry-"        

        "No, don't be. It's fine. Come on, dinner is probably ready. And I know that Bruce wanted to talk with me earlier. Best not keep him waiting." Dick whispers, standing up and closing the laptop. I follow suit as Dick sniffs at the air. "I think Alfred made soup today." 

        "Are you smiling at the thought of soup?" I tease and he shrugs. 

        "I like soup. It soothes the bones and warms my soul."

        "Since when were you a poet?"

        "Since ten seconds ago. Now come on." Dick races downstairs and I walk slowly after him, still thinking about the landlady, Bridget.

        "Haven't seen you around here before. But I have heard of you." I turn towards the voice and find a younger man than I standing before me. "Tim Drake." He offers out his hand and I follow suit, clasping his.

        "Callie."

        "I know. You wouldn't believe how much Dick and Bruce talk about you."

        "Oh? I didn't know they talked about me at all. And I hear I just thought I was catching a cold with all this sneezing."

        "So, is it true? Are you Dick's new girlfriend?"

        "Supposedly. Well, yes. I just don't know if I'm the only one."

        "Don't worry, Dick and relationships have never quite been on the same page."

        "I don't follow."

        "I shouldn't say much more. You should probably just ask Dick himself."

        "I will, thanks." He begins to walk past me and I think of something. "So, who are you supposed to be? Robin?" I question and Tim stiffens.

        "I don't know what you are talking about."

        "I already know that Bruce is Batman and Dick is Nightwing, so it would make sense that you would be Robin. Unless it's Alfred. That would be a fantastic sight to see."

        "How did you find out about Dick and Bruce?"

        "Let's just say, people keep on underestimating me. I'm smarter than I look."

        "You look like a genius."

        "Exactly. Now come, maybe-Robin, let us go eat soup that Alfred-Robin has cooked up for this lovely, odd family."

        "You have no idea."