5 - Confrontation Station

Things had slowed down since I discovered that Captain America was the guy that had stopped me in the base. There wasn't any new information coming out or anymore strange people coming into the diner. At least, during my shift. I don't know about the other people's shifts. I was getting ready for the day before I get a text from one of my coworkers saying that her daughter was sick and couldn't work tonight, asking if I could cover her shift. I can't say no. Only problem is that she was scheduled to work the dead shift tonight. Which means that I'm going to be stuck in the diner during the early morning again. Fuck. I send a text back, saying that I'd cover it as long as she took another one of my shifts later. If this means I'm working tonight, I guess I ought to get back to sleep in order to stay alive for tonight.

--

After getting a good couple extra hours of sleep, I get up and ready for work. Thank god the shift isn't really busy, just more sitting idle and not really doing anything and trying to stay awake. I grab everything I need for work and hop into my car and drive to work, noticing a red streak in the sky a mile down the road. Hm. That's weird. Not important though, I need to get to work. I swoop into the parking lot before clocking in and getting ready for this fun shift. I sit down after working on some prep and start to feel my head nod, the sound of the bell on the door shocks me into standing up real quick. My eyes go to the door, seeing 3 guys walk in, followed by...Sam? "Sam?" I say, walking towards the group. 

"Emily! I didn't know you worked here." He says, smiling a small smile and giving me a hug. 

"Yea, I usually work the afternoon shift, but I'm covering. What are you doing here?" 

"The guys and I just got done with a basketball game." He says, his eyes wandering during the sentence. 

"Yea, yea. Sure." I say, smiling. "I got you guys a booth." I grab the menus and walk towards the booth, where the guy with short light brown hair and dark long hair sit next to each other while Sam and the other guy sit together. 

"Steve, Buck, Clint, this is Emily. She's the girl I told you about at the club." Sam says, introducing me to the boys. Those two are the ones from the picture on his phone case. I don't know the other one.

"Nice to meet you, boys. What can I get you guys? Breakfast, dinner?" Soon, the guys give me their orders before I take it back to the kitchen. 

I exit the back of the kitchen and walk towards the freezer to check my phone before hearing a footstep behind me. "It's you." I turn around, seeing Steve behind me.

"It's you." I say back. He's Captain America. 

"You're the girl that was in the Hydra base." He takes a step closer to me. 

"So that's their name." I say, smiling slightly. I finally have him here. 

"Do you want to tell me why you were there?" I look behind him, have expecting the other guys to come around the corner, too. After all, Sam didn't know that I had powers. I didn't tell him anything about that. 

"How did you know it was me? I'm pretty sure you were blinded pretty damn good." That's one thing I'm sure of, after all, I sent a lot of light his way.

"I was. But I heard your voice. It's pretty damn recognizable." He says, leaning against the wall. He seems too comfortable. Especially with my safety on the line. After all, I don't need him to take me in to the authorities. 

"What if it was me? What are you going to do about it, 'Merica?" I say, smirking. I don't need to reveal that I'm scared. But I am. I'm fucking terrified. 

"Nothing at the moment. But we do need to talk in a more private place. The other don't know about you. Yet. It's dangerous for people like you to be out. You're doing a great job hiding, Emily, but I don't want you to get hurt." With the last sentence, he comes up and places a hand on my arm. On instinct, I pull back. He recoils back as well, just as the bell in the kitchen rings, letting me know that their order was ready. "We need to talk somewhere private." I close my eyes, thinking about the possibilities. I do need safety. I nod slowly before he smiles. "Meet me at the bench at Yoshina Park by the bridge tomorrow at 1 PM." With that, he walks back to his table, joining the boys. I walk into the kitchen and deliver the food, making sure it was perfect for the boys. 

"Emily, this looks great! Thanks!" Sam says before taking a big bite out of his french toast. 

"Thanks Sammy. Let me know if you guys need anything else." I walk back into the back area, taking a deep breath. I don't know about this. But there's something about this guy. He had to be trustworthy if he was from back then and they trusted him to do all that work. Plus he represents America! I go back towards the boys, checking back up on them and grabbing a refill for those who needs one. "Anything else guys? Desserts or anything?" 

"Doll, the only dessert here is you." Bucky says before getting a slap on the hand from Sam and  a punch to the arm from Steve. "Damn, it was a joke! Sorry." He says before we all laugh. 

"Well thank you, Bucky. It's been a while since I've been complimented." I say smiling. With that, the guys pay and get ready to leave. By then, it was close to 4 in the morning. A couple more hours and the shift will be done. Thank god. 

"Thanks for the meal, Em! We have to hang out soon." Sam says, smiling at me before giving me a hug again. 

"Thanks doll. I'm sure with you hanging with Sam, you'll see more of me." Bucky says before kissing my cheek. Dammit Bucky. 

"Same here, Emily. Make sure to see you soon." Steve says, kissing my other cheek and making a blush creep across my face. These boys man. 

"Will do boys. See you soon." They walk out one by one, Steve stealing another glance back at me. 

I know what he means by it. He's making sure that I'll remember tomorrow. He doesn't want to outright say it, especially with the boys around.

I just don't know if I want to go tomorrow. It might be a trap. Or it might just be Steve wanting to help me out. 

I just help that it's the latter.

-

-

-

Hey guys!

Two chapters in 1 day! Wowie! 

QOTD (pt2): What's your favorite band? I love Fall Out Boy!

The song at the top is Bishop's Knife Trick by Fall Out Boy!

Hugs and Love,

DashingZiggy