chapter twenty

PRESENT TIME:

“So, hi.” Jenna waved her hand awkwardly, on purpose, slowly stepping into the kitchen.

“Good. You can help me.” I said turning back to the dishes.

“Not really what I came here to do.” She giggled. “But I guess I can help out.”

“Right.” I whispered more to myself.

“So.” She paused.

“So.” I dragged on, waiting for her to say something.

“I was thinking we could have an us time.” She dried the plates I washed.

“Um, sure. When?” I rubbed ferociously on the stain.

“I was thinking today, like now.” She stopped and turned towards me.

“Like now now?” I stopped as well mirroring her.

“Let’s get out and get away for a while.” She clapped her hands excitedly.

“I can’t just get out and get away. You know I have kids.” I rolled my eyes getting back to the dishes.

“I know I know.” She sighs taking a seat on the high chair, looking down. The mood has now shifted towards sadness. “It’s hard you know.” She sniffles.

I dry my hands and walk over towards her. “Hey what’s wrong?” I half hug and rub her back.

“You don’t deserve this.” She cries now. “I mean, you did nothing wrong in life. This shouldn’t have happened to you.” She hugs me, pulling me in harder each time she took a breath/hiccups.

This cause a couple tears to run down my face. It felt nice to know I didn’t have to go through this alone, that I had someone to go to and talk to.

“Are you co-ming.” Zayn said bursting through the doors, but stopped once he saw us.

Jenna and I pulled back quickly, wiping away the tears.

“Sorry.” He said awkwardly, starting to pull out.

“No, I’m just leaving.” Jenna hugged me again wiping away the fresh new tears that started to fall out of her eyes.

“You sure.” I asked holding her close.

“Yeah, I have to leave sooner or later.” She giggled slightly as she released me. “Well I have a long drive and I don’t wanna die on my way home, so bye.” she walked out of the doors.

Zayn was still standing by the doors, awkwardly.

“Zayn.” I said turning around to get back on the dishes.

“Dana.” I felt him shift his weight, causing a slight creak on the wooden floor.

“So, what’s up?” I sighed, waiting for his response.

I heard footsteps coming closer, then a toned arm wrapping around me.

I jumped a little, since I wasn’t expecting a hug.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. “Zayn.” I whispered.

“Sorry.” He slowly released. “I know I shouldn’t, but it felt like a right time.”

“No, I know.” I opened my eyes, looking down.

“Can we talk?” he stood next to me now.

“Shoot.” I looked up at him.

“In private?” he said hesitantly.

“Yeah,” I nodded.

“Let’s go for a walk.” He suggested.