Chapter Twenty-One

The wind from the passing cars blew John's hair all over his face. He was standing on the curb, just near the edge of the highway. He was waiting for Paul to return. From where? God knows, he thought.

       Paul had told John that he was going to go get something to helped them get "noticed" by passing cars. John could only wonder what.

       What would help them get noticed? A bright pink jacket? Maybe flags to wave that said "we need a ride". John chuckled. If Paul was getting something he wouldn't be surprised if that was what is was.

       John watched the cars pass by. He counted the red ones, and then the blue, and then the silver. Where the hell is Paul? He thought.

       Paul said that he knew of a convenience store "nearby." But forty five minutes had passed and Paul was still not back. He began to wonder how close this store actually was.

       The sound of an airplane overhead made John look up at the sky, putting his hands in his pockets. However, he was quickly turned around when he felt a finger tap him on the shoulder. And what he saw was Paul with two bowler hats, one stacked on top of another, on his head.

       "You look dumb." John giggled as Paul took one off and tossed it over to John. John put his hands out, and luckily it didn't drop.

       "One's for you." Paul replied. "Like I said, it'll help us get noticed."

       "And how?" John asked. "People wear these all the time, everywhere they go. It'll just make us look like normal gentlemen." John over exaggerated the word gentlemen.

       "Well it's too late to go back now-" Paul was cut off by John.

       "Yeah obviously." John rolled his eyes in a playful way. "It took you so long to get these and I don't want you taking any longer." John joked.

       Paul nudged John with his elbow making him fall into the street a bit.

      "Ay Macca!" John shouted over the noise of the cars. He walked back onto the side of the road, looking a bit mad.

      "Just put your hat on and pay attention." Paul laughed and stuck his thumb out. "We're off to Spain."

*

       It had been over and hour and Paul was starting to get annoyed. Of course, John didn't help with his groaning every time a car didn't stop for them. But over an hour was ridiculous. Not just one car had at least slowed down to take a look at the two boys.

       "Will you just stop it?!" Paul exclaimed as John groaned for the millionth time. "I'm annoyed too y'know!"

        "Look, were both annoyed, but let's not get mad at each other." John said. "We're supposed to be having a vacation."

        Paul grunted.

        John tried to grab Paul's hand, but Paul quickly pulled it away. "Not in public!" He exclaimed, still a bit scared they would get caught.

        "Ok, ok." John said as he threw his hands over his head. "There will be plenty of time to do that in Spain." He joked trying to lighten the mood.

       Paul tried to stay angry, but ended up cracking a little smile.

      "There's the smile I know!" John laughed. Paul was now full on grinning. "See," John said. "This isn't so bad."

      The two smiled at each other for awhile, but Paul broke away when a car pulled up next to them.

     "John!" He exclaimed.

      "I see." John replied.

      "Ready?" Paul asked.

      "Ready." John answered.

      The two stepped into the car.

Thanks for reading. -Liz :)