Chapter Forty

Last chapter! 🤪

        "You know I love you very much, right?" John asked Paul as he closed the door, took off his coat, and sat on the bed.

     "It doesn't seem like it lately." Paul rolled his eyes.

     "Please, Paul." A tear fell down John's cheek. "I don't want to fight."

     Paul sighed. "Okay, I'm sorry. But what do you want to tell me?"

     Tears kept falling faster and faster down John's cheeks. "Remember when we had our big fight?" He asked. "The night we had made up for a bit and then I freaked out the next morning."

     Paul nodded his head up and down. "Yeah, I remember."

    "Well, I was very upset that day and I had been for a while. Just everything that had happened, with Stu dying and our relationship-"

     "Yeah, I wanted to talk to you about-" Paul had cut John off to tell him that he was going to help him with his depression, but John beat him to the next sentence.

     "Paul, just please let me finish." John whispered.

     "Okay." Paul whispered back.

    John continued to speak normally. "I had been very upset for a while, and our fight made me lose hope. I didn't know what to do, and..."

    His sentence drifted away. Paul's heart began to beat faster and faster, nervous from what John was about to say.

    John was now sobbing and struggling to finish his sentence. Paul could tell that what John was about to tell him was hard for him. And it obviously wasn't going to be something good. Most likely very bad.

   "John, Love." Paul paused. He hadn't called John that for a long time. And now, this might be the last time he would ever call him that.

   Paul stood up from the bed and put his hand on John's shoulder. "You can tell me anything." He said, not sure if he really meant it. "I won't get mad, I promise."

    John's tears slowed down a bit, just enough for him to start his sentence again. "Well, when we had our fight, I left and I sat at a bus stop."

     Oh no, thought Paul. This was not going anywhere good.

    "And there, I saw Cynthia."

    Oh my god, Paul thought. He knew Cynthia was John's old girlfriend from art school. And an  old girlfriend could be the one to take John's mind off of Paul. Paul knew where this story was going.

    "And she asked if I wanted to come back to her house for tea. I said yes..." John's sentence drifted away once again.

    Paul felt tears start to form behind his eyelids. "John," He whispered still not taking his hand off his shoulder. "What happened at Cynthia's house?"

    A cry escaped John's throat. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry Paul." He whispered and continued to sob.

    "John." Paul said a bit more firmly now. However, tears now fell down his face. He took his hand off of John's shoulder. "What happened at her house?"

    "Paul, I'm sorry. So sorry." John pleaded and cried.

    "John! What happened?!" Paul yelled, also sobbing. "Just tell me." He whispered.

    "I slept with her. And I cheated on you."

    Paul's heart broke in two. He sat down on the bed. He couldn't believe the one person who he loved and trusted the most had cheated on him. He felt his chest tighten as multiple cries escaped his throat.

    "That's not all." John looked down at his feet.

    Not all?! Paul didn't know what else there could be. John had already ruined their relationship.

    "Cynthia's pregnant." John sobbed harder.

     Paul went lightheaded. Now it was definitely over. John would have to be there for the baby and Paul couldn't keep him from that.

     But why did John have to go and mess it up?! He thought. It didn't matter now. All that mattered was John being able to eat help and to raise and child. Paul was no longer part of his life. He didn't matter to him anymore. There were more important things. And that's what hurt the most.

    Paul tried his best to fake a smile. But tears still rolled down his cheeks.

    "John," He said for the millionth time. "You need to support Cynthia and your baby. You need to leave me behind. I'll always be here, but as your friend."

    John slowly looked up from the ground. His voice shook with pain. "You mean, break up?" He cried out.

    "It's what's best John."

    "No!" John pleaded and cried. "No! No! It's not what's best! I'm sorry Paul, I really am, but I need you! I need you more than ever!"

    "It's what's best. Trust me."

     "I'm really sorry, I really am!" John full on sobbed, "But I can't live without you! I tried to push you away so I wouldn't get hurt, but it needed up hurting me more! God I'm so damn stupid!"

    "John, I think you should leave." Paul spoke with hurt in his voice. "I'll always be here for you, but as a friend. Nothing more. I'm sorry John. It's over."

    John started to walk to the door, knowing that there was no more hope left in trying. "I can't believe this is how it ends." He said to Paul. His eyes were red from all the crying he had done.

    "Honestly, John," Paul said. "With everything that was happening, I can."

    John cried out in pain. "I can't do this. Goodbye."

    He turned the knob and felt the cool air of the hallway hit him. He couldn't believe Paul had done this.

    But he knew it would come soon. He knew he'd leave him. Just like the others.

    Everyone always left.

Sad ending, I'm sorry. Thanks for reading. -Liz :)