Chapter Twenty-Eight

Paul walked into the front doors of The Cavern, the smell of alcohol and smoke coming over him. He couldn't wait to play on this stage again.

       The room was a bit crowded, but not too bad as an eruption of laughter came from the left of the bar. Paul smirked, feeling that it was good to be back in Liverpool, free from the weight of traveling.

       John walked up right next to Paul and sighed. He looked tired, as if he'd been running a long distance.

       "Where were you?" Paul asked him.

       "I used the pay phone outside to call my aunt and tell her I was back home from Paris." John answered.

       "And?" Paul motioned for John to continue.

       "She didn't even know I left."

        Paul laughed. "You could've just used the phone at the bar." He said, a smile still on his face.

        "Yeah, but we were outside and not inside yet anyways. Oh, and she told me how I'll never make as a musician and that I should come home and be a doctor." John smiled not seeming to care at least a little bit that his aunt didn't support him. "Y'know, just the usual."

       Paul rolled his eyes. "I see she still hasn't changed since we were teenagers and in school."

        "Yup."

       Suddenly the bartender shouted over to the two men. "Is one of you Paul McCartney?" He asked.

      Paul raised an eyebrow and shouted back at him. "Me." He answered. "Why do you need to know?"

      "Someone called for you not too many days ago."

      "I wonder who." Paul said just to John.

     "I dunno but I'm going upstairs." John replied. "Coming up in a couple of minutes?" He asked Paul.

     "Yeah." Paul walked over to the bar, while John walked back up the stairs to their room. He asked if he could use the phone to call them back. The bartender said yes and told him the number that called so he knew who to call back.

       He had no idea who's number that was, but he dialed anyways. As the phone rang, he began to grow a bit nervous, knowing that it could be some random stalker who found out who he was in Paris.

       Someone on the other line picked up and spoke softly. "Hello?"

      "A..Astrid?" Paul questioned. "I thought you were back in Germany with Stu! Why are you calling?"

       "Paul?" She said just to be sure it was him. "I have some news..."

*

        Paul gulped as he walked back to his and John's room. He looked down at his feet, watching the carpet below him.

        He bumped into a few people, but didn't care. The only thing that mattered was telling John this.

        Paul quickly stopped as he approached a white door, the one that lead to his room where John was. Here we go, he thought as he put his hand on the doorknob. It slowly turned open revealing John sitting on the bed.

       "What's wrong?" He asked, seeing Paul's face. "Is everything okay? Who was calling?" John pounded Paul with a million questions.

       "John," He paused. "It's Stu."

       John's eyes lit up thinking Stu was coming to visit.

       "John," Paul stopped again. "Stuart..."

Thanks for reading. -Liz :)