chapter 11

L U K E 

I sat squished in the middle of Eth and Beth in my wheelchair as Tyler walked us down to the administrative office,I tried and failed to hide my restlessness. I couldn't decipher whether I was excited or nervous to see everyone again. I wasn't even seeing everyone, so I need to calm the fuck down. 

I forced myself to take a deep breath before I caused another break in our trip. We turned the corner to short hallway leading up to the administrative office. As soon as Amber opened the front door, I threw my rash thoughts and breathing methods out of the window. This wasn't going to work. 

Stop.

I can't.

Why are you freaking out? You've wanted to go back to school for the longest time. Calm down.

If I could glare at myself I would've. 

I scanned the hallways. Posters announcing the arrival of new clubs or volunteering opportunities lined up the hallways. It hurt a little knowing I couldn't get to do any of those, but it's fine, I'll be able to now right? Right.

As we neared the office, I saw my 'old', I guess you could call it, lined up with items. I didn't put them there. Did someone pass away and mistake their locker for mine? 

I felt Tyler push us in that direction, apparently making a pit stop in our endeavor. He parked in front of my locker and my eyes widened.

"We don't have all day." Amber smirked.

My locker was lined up with my face on posters, 'get well soon', and 'we miss you bud' held the place of many cards on the smooth surface. On the floor laid gift baskets, flowers, and bears. As if all the things I got at the hospital had just evaporated. I couldn't believe it. I just stayed in place, staring wide-eyed at the sight right in front of me. I wanted to run up and down the halls screaming, "I'm here! I'm okay!" but I was speechless. I couldn't move. Somehow I managed to snap out of my shock and reached out to brush my fingers across the many letters left for me. Did people actually leave all this for me?

I guess I spaced out hard because Tyler just had to shake my body more violently like a 5.0 earthquake. I would've charged at him if I had the control of my legs, but he is in for a treat when I get better. Luckily my mom did me justice, slapping the back of his own head. 

I glared at him. 

"What?" he asked innocently.

I rolled my eyes at him, facing my locker once again, "Wow." I muttered. 

"I know bud." My dad spoke up, placing a hand on my shoulder.

We stayed silent for a minute, subconsciously holding our own moment of silence for everything that could've gone wrong that day. How this wouldn't be a 'get well soon' it would be a 'rest in peace'. That thought alone was enough to send me into a panic attack. 

I felt my breath hitch without my permission, Ethan and Bethany must have heard it to and that both shot up to look at me in the face.

"100" Bethany whispered, softly guiding my body back into the wheelchair.

"93" Ethan continued, guiding my head to his shoulder. 

"86" I stuttered out after a while.

I needed to get a grasp on my emotions. I'm not dead, I'm here, I'm right here.

I felt my fingers being placed on my other hand, I looked down to see my hands being held by Ethan and Bethany.

"Feel that?" She asked.

"It's your pulse." Ethan continued.

"Your steady pulse"

"You're still here, and you're okay."

I deep a deep breath and nodded, fighting back the emotions that wanted to slam into me. 

I looked behind to see my family in similar expressions. I guess it never really hit anyone on how close to death I actually was. It was hitting them just as hard as it hit me.

"Guys let's go" I muttered before we had a pity party in the middle of this hallway.

My family slowly snapped out of their trip down memory land. I smiled a reassuring smile. 

"I'm fine. I'm alive."

Tyler nodded, seemingly out of it. I had to change the subject before the mood changed drastically.

"Amber, remember that time-" I started

"Let's go!" Amber yelled, sensing the tone of my voice.

 "Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed today, huh" I mumbled, taking on a teasing tone.

 She glared at me and I batted my eyelashes, faking a smile. 

"Roll" she commanded Tyler.

I stayed silent, not all the missing the sad tone we left. As soon as Tyler rolled us into the office, I was bombarded with smiles and hugs. The office ladies gushed over me like I was some long-lost prize. I couldn't help but let out sporadic laughs. 

I wasn't popular, per say, but people knew my name, and I was liked, to be frank. Like that's not cocky.  Anyways they were all gushing on how I was doing better, and how much improvement I made. I beamed, listening to them congratulate and acknowledge my fast recovery journey.

It took a few minutes, but after everyone had gotten their hugs and greetings in, I was finally able to enroll for my sophomore year.  The lady enrolling me, Ms. Hyler, couldn't keep a grin off her face for some reason. She looked up at me, asking me questions about how I was and how I felt. She kept looking behind me, but I assumed she was looking at my family so I brushed it off. Soon she finally finished. 

I was about to ask for a no supervision pass so I could roam the halls and clear out my locker and all of that fun jazz, when she  got on the announcements. I guess she was telling teachers about some weird teacher lounge lunch, but she didn't say anything. She just turned it on, let the bell ring, then turned it back off. I was struck with a wave of confusion. 

This is really happening. I'm really going back to school. Was I really ready to jump back in, head first, already. And something as crazy as high-school. Yes. Besides, it's not like you'll be alone. You've wanted this, act like it.

 As I was battling myself for more courage, she giddily said, "It's time." 

Leaving me more baffled than before. Time for what?

***

OOp. I actually updated this on time? Where is my cookie excuse me.

I also changed my username and pfp. I needed a change and I'm not at all mad about it tbh. 

I hope you guys liked this chapter and these random updates aren't getting annoying lol.

I. Hate. Online. School. Somehow I have more school work now than I had in actual school. Just because I'm at home doesn't mean I'm not busy. I have a very vigorous schedule of doing nothing. Let me do nothing in peace please and thanks. 

I made cookies yesterday and made the mistake of crying over them because they were crumbly after being out of the oven for .5 seconds. When they cooled they were fine lmao I'm dramatic.

Sorry for that random life update but hey if you enjoyed it I eon't complain.

How'd you guys like the chapter? Don't hesitate to tell me spelling errors, I defo won't catch them on my own.

Please vote and comment!

-hizzy xx