Endex

"It has been a pleasure to serve alongside you all."

Alex raised his glass proudly as his comrades cheered around him. He was dressed pristinely in a smart black tuxedo with a bow tie gripping loosely around his neck. He also had an impressive display of service medals glistening off his chest that he had worked very hard to earn during his career. Every now and then he would crack a joke and smile warmly, making eye contact with everyone around the table. Georgie couldn't tear her eyes away from him as he stood towering over the table delivering his speech.

She noted how handsome he looked, dressed elegantly like he had just strayed off the red carpet. Part of her also couldn't help but notice the speed at which he sent her heart racing. She couldn't stop herself from blushing with pride that she could call this man her husband.

After his speech Alex quickly sat down whilst some of his comrades took over and began to reminisce about all the good times they shared together. Alex was watching them intently, letting out light chuckles as they acted out some of his fondest memories, but that was until Georgie stole his attention.

"Lovely speech, babe." She congratulated, searching his eyes before resting her hand against his thigh.

During Alex's time in service, he had undertaken a number of different roles. Leaving the army for good and giving up his honourable title of being a soldier was never going to be easy. He was proud of what he achieved under that title and he was proud of everyone who he had ever served beside. But he knew that now was the right time to leave. This decision was final. It certainly was not easy but he was excited for a future where he didn't have to miss important events and not be around to celebrate family milestones.

After a few hours, Alex was staggering back towards his car. Having drunk a few too many beers and finished a few too many champagne bottles between him and his buddies, he was only able to stay on his feet thanks to Georgie propping him up by his arm.

She also helped push him into the car, battling against his body weight as he constantly fell all over the place due to his involuntary movements. Once he was safely inside she leaned over from the drivers seat and began fumbling around in the dark with his seat belt. The stench of alcohol was ever present on his breath as he imminently drifted into a state of drunken stupor and began snoring very loudly.

The drive home for Georgie was filled with a welcomed silence. Well, more like no talking. Alex was quite literally passed out in the passengers seat, but she knew that he had just had a bit too much to drink and his deep snoring reassured her that he was still breathing, despite how deafening and annoying it seemed.

When Georgie arrived home she finally had someone to help her get him into the house. Until now she had been struggling on her own and she could feel the resulting muscle tension in her back. Charlie and Molly had missed Alex's army leaving do to stay at their house and babysit. Charlie wasn't too fond of going anyway, he had expressed when he got the invite "It's just a big piss up." He was right too, just look at the state of Alex.

With Charlie on one side and Georgie on the other they managed to painstakingly drag Alex upstairs and set him down in bed. All the while he was talking 100 decibels too loudly about how great a wife Georgie was. At first she was flattered but very quickly his slurred speech and flailing of his arms became very irritating as they battled against him.

***

The following morning, Alex was looking worse for words. He couldn't remember singing and dancing uncontrollably in front of everyone or stumbling drunkly in front of his former superiors. Maybe the fact that he couldn't remember all the things he said and did last night was for the best. From the minute details Georgie had told him, it seemed like he really embarrassed himself.