New arrival

"Come on Private! Get a move on!"

Alex stood towering over one of the young soldiers as he struggled to shuffle his body under the cargo net. Georgie was off on maternity leave whilst Alex was working hard to train the newest intake of infantry soldiers.

He sighed as a youthful soldier, who had previously shown himself to be very cocky, got all of his webbing caught up in the net; slowing him down. Somehow, he had also managed to bath his rifle in the murky thick mud despite being told to keep it untouched.

"Stop! You're dead! You took far too long! The enemy just sniped you from miles away!"

Alex was annoyed. All of the soldiers in his section had failed to complete the course in the required time limit. He glared intensely at the sweaty faced recruits and singled them out one by one.

"Dead!" "Dead!" He pointed, paused and then quickly retracted his finger. "Bloody close!" He growled.

Crossing his arms tightly across his chest, he sighed heavily. Alex had always been a leader who wanted his unit to be the best so he could brag and show them off - currently his new recruits were doing the opposite.

"My wife could do better than you lot! And she's 8 months pregnant!" He spat in disappointment as he ordered them to double away and get out of his sight.

***

Alex sat at his desk shuffling the mountain of paperwork in front of him when abruptly, another captain burst into his office.

"A knock would have been nice." He sighed. Suddenly, Alex noticed how panicked the captain seemed and quickly forgave him for bursting in.

"Whatever is the matter?" Alex asked raising an eyebrow and pointing at a chair perched beside his desk; gesturing for him to take a seat.

"N- No time for that, Sir!" The captain stuttered and shifted his feet. "Your wife has gone into labour!" He eventually blurted out.

Within seconds, Alex had bolted upright from behind his desk and had rapidly thrown a few essentials into his bag, preparing for a long wait up the hospital. He then swiftly ran down the corridor, pushing a lieutenant out the way, and quickly leaped into his car.

Whilst still trying to obey the speed limit, Alex drove at the fastest possible speed. Turning on the radio, he tried to calm his nerves and excitement. The sweat on his palms made it a challenge to grip the steering wheel. Every traffic light delayed him further and held him up in long rows of traffic - he wondered whether he would even make it to the hospital in time to see Georgie give birth.

Eventually, after what felt like a few passing seconds, but was actually a painstaking 30 minutes, Alex arrived at the hospital. He paced down the long and winding corridors, that felt like they were leading to nowhere, like a rat trapped in a maze. Noticing a doctor coming towards him, wheeling a patient in a wheelchair, he frantically cornered him to ask for directions to the maternity ward. He knew he was getting close when he could hear the agonising cries of his wife going through her painful contractions.

Rushing into the room he tightly grasped her hand and kissed her sweaty forehead to offer some encouragement.

"Hello, Mr McClyde." The midwife held out her hand as Alex lightly shook it. "The baby was due an hour ago. If this continues we may need to induce her." The midwife ran through the situation and made them both aware of the possibilities with the baby in their best interests.

Alex chuckled as he nudged Georgie gently. "Just like his mother then! Taking his time and being stubborn!" He hoped for a reaction but the pain of labour had consumed Georgie and she didn't react at all.

Little did they know that the night would last forever. Georgie was originally rushed into the maternity ward late in the afternoon. 5 hours had now gone by and there was still no sign of the baby.

Whispering, the midwifes had all gathered in the corner of the room. They were starting to get concerned about the welfare of the baby who should have been birthed by now.

"Mrs McClyde. We know you would prefer a natural delivery but this baby is starting to show distress. If he's not out in the next hour we will have no choice but to perform a C-section."

The news hit them both hard with worry. As Alex looked into Georgie's eyes he could see tears welling up in them, but nothing he could say would change the situation. Time ticked by like a slow and faint heartbeat of anticipation that made every second they had to wait even more painful. Alex held Georgie's head tightly into his chest as her tears soaked his shirt. 

***

12pm - still no sign of the baby.

"Right. This baby is coming out now!" The midwife had held on long enough, now they needed to get the baby out before there was serious complications. They had just started to prepare Georgie for surgery when she cried out; halting the process.

"I CAN FEEL SOMETHING! HE'S COMING!" She screamed as she gathered her last ounces of strength to push. She was emotionally and physically exhausted, but much to everyone's surprise, the baby was finally on his way out.

"You are doing amazing, love." Alex clutched her hand tightly as she put in her last effort.

Minutes later it was all over. Georgie's little bundle of joy was wrapped in a pale blue blanket and placed upon her chest. He was breathing and healthy - Alex couldn't help but shed a tear and erupt with pride.

"Born at 00:30am on the 13th of February." Staring at her watch, the midwife scribbled down the time and date of birth into the baby's medical file.

All of a sudden, Georgie stiffened and became withdrawn. Alex felt the warmth of her hand against his drift away as she became subdued. Looking intensely into her eyes, he tried to tease out of her what was wrong.

"Our son waited until the 13th of February." Georgie swallowed hard as tears trickled down her red cheeks. "It's Elvis' birthday.."

As a single tear tumbled off of Georgie's face and onto the new born baby that laid upon her chest, she gently kissed his head.

"Well... We both agreed!" Alex shot a smile in Georgie's direction as the midwife asked them what they wanted to call their son.

From the moment those cannons fired at the gender reveal and blue confetti showered down on them expressing they would be having a son, the McClydes both agreed to name him after Elvis. Now their son shared the same birthday as Elvis too, despite being due days earlier.

It wasn't long before all of 2 section filled into the room and crowded around Georgie as her new baby boy was passed around for everyone to hold. She hadn't seen many of them in ages but her son was stealing the spotlight - she could always catch up on the gossip later. Right now, it was all about the new arrival.

"Welcome to the world, Jacob Elvis   McClyde."

*************************************

A/N: Sorry for being absent from updating for such a long time I have had a lot going on.

Hope you enjoy this chapter :)

Also I am so excited that Our Girl is coming back for another season. I can't wait!